-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
-
From beach to Bulls: relaxed Tsunoda savours rare F1 drive
-
BYDFi Joins Coinfest Asia 2026, Connecting with Institutions, Builders and Traders in Bali
-
Prince Harry: key dates in life of returning UK royal
-
Max Verstappen: Natural-born winner
-
North Korea launches missiles, Seoul says, after Trump floats Kim meet
-
Van Dijk urges Liverpool to make amends for 'unacceptable' season
-
Oil jumps on Iran war tensions, offsetting bond yield fears
-
All Blacks replace Tuipulotu with Holland for Springboks Test
-
Germany identifies far-right suspect in deadly 1970 antisemitic attack
-
Rain delays start of second day's play in England-Pakistan opener
-
PrimeXBT Expands Swap-Free Trading to PXTrader 2.0
-
Russian strikes kill 16 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Record number of locations in France top 40C over summer: AFP analysis
-
'It is tough': Indonesia battles wildfires, bracing for worse to come
-
Trump pledges 'economic warfare' on Iran, prompting Tehran derision
-
Seoul detects North Korean missile launches after Trump says to meet Kim
-
'Girl with a Pearl Earring' in Japan, perhaps for the last time
-
Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses
-
Russian strikes kill 13 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Asian stocks rally as US Treasury steps in to ease bond fears
-
'Simply lovely': Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030
-
Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030: team
-
Australia coach Walters heading to St Helens after World Cup
-
What property giant Evergrande's sentence means for China's economy
-
China jails founder, fines disgraced property giant Evergrande
-
Australian prosecutors demand life in prison for mushroom killer
-
Russian strikes kill 12 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Fallout far-reaching for Australian Rules after latest scandal
-
US India ambassador's Kashmir remarks rile Pakistan; envoy summoned
-
Rafts on Rome's Tiber River cool down overheated tourists
-
In Senegal's Saint-Louis, traces of slave-trading past fade away
-
Top seeds Sabalenka, Zverev stunned in Cincinnati fourth round
-
Russian strikes kill 9 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Australia says relations with Israel 'difficult' after aid worker death
-
Messi scores first goal since father's death in Miami draw
-
PSG start Ligue 1 defence with eye on Champions League hat-trick
-
Mercedes and Max: What to watch as F1 returns for Dutch GP
-
Arsenal can become world's best club: Arteta
-
'People, not robots': Ukraine's soldiers justify human role amid drone revolution
-
Japan's King Kazu, 59, scores twice from spot to make cup history
-
North Sea drilling tests UK govt climate pledge
-
Kyiv's desperate vendors persevere outside obliterated flea market
-
'Ray of hope': Gaza seed bank rebuilds after wartime destruction
-
Australia races to shield little penguins from H5N1 bird flu
-
Mourinho begins second Real Madrid reign with Barca in his sights
-
Messi scores first goal since father's death
-
'More confrontational': Iran's new hardline security leadership
-
US national debt exceeds $40 trillion for first time
-
UK summons Israeli envoy over West Bank settlement project
Eyewitness says Modena tragedy could have been even worse
Still reeling from witnessing a car ploughing through a crowded city centre in Modena in northern Italy on Saturday, pensioner Walter Botorsi said an even bigger tragedy had been narrowly avoided.
"If the car had kept going into the centre, it could have killed, killed," the 76-year-old told AFP after Saturday's incident, when a driver with a history of mental health problems injured eight people.
The small Citroen driven by the man, a 31-year-old Italian of Moroccan heritage, mowed down cyclists and pedestrians at around 4:30 pm near the cathedral.
One of the car's wheels locked when it mounted the pavement, sending it crashing into a shop window.
If it had kept going, the car would have gone under some crowded arcades and would have "killed, killed, or caused even more serious injuries," Botorsi said, looking up at the sky.
"I'm still in shock," said the man, who saw the car going past "at very high speed".
There was no barrier preventing cars from entering the semi-pedestrianised street, where buses also pass.
The driver then tried to flee, but was chased down and caught by four passersby, on whom he pulled a knife.
He injured one of them before being arrested.
– Rage and sadness –
"Terror and blood on Via Emilia", was the headline on the Gazzetta di Modena newspaper Sunday.
This city in the Po Valley, between Bologna and the factories of luxury carmaker Ferrari, woke up torn between "rage" and "sadness", said Mattia Meschieri, 38.
"We really feel like we’ve lost what makes up the story of our lives. We have lived in a city we love... and seeing it like this really hurts."
Meschieri gathered with about a hundred people from Modena at the scene of the incident on Sunday morning to demand greater security in the city.
"The situation in the city has deteriorated enormously. Already at New Year's, a priest was stabbed by a foreigner. Yesterday’s incident is the most serious," he added.
"We want to make it clear that the population is extremely worried and that we expect a reaction from the political world, because we cannot endure a situation of this kind," Meschieri said.
Reactions from Italian centrist and leftist politicians have highlighted the courage of passersby who intervened to stop the driver, including two Egyptians.
Some far-right politicians have questioned “the integration of second-generation citizens".
"All this risks fuelling racism,” said Reda Lafif, 31, an Italian of Moroccan origin and owner of a perfume shop a few metres from the scene.
"This is not a problem of Moroccans," he said.
"If he was really crazy, had been in psychiatric care, and they let him out with his own car, that's a problem with the Italian system."
J.V.Jacinto--PC