-
Macron hosts Saudi crown prince for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Swiss forward Embolo joins Atlanta United
-
Jamieson gets Trump call after ending 14-year golf title drought
-
Former cricket captains appeal to Pakistan over Khan health care
-
Norwegian King Harald's health has 'deteriorated': palace
-
Latest 'Spider-Man' tops American box office for 4th weekend
-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
Police violence remains chronic struggle in Dominican Republic
An argument between a shopper and a store clerk at a mall in the Dominican Republic capital of Santo Domingo ended last month with police arresting customer David de los Santos.
Three days later, the 24-year-old was dead in hospital, after suffering catastrophic injuries during his detention.
The case has highlighted chronic police violence in the Dominican Republic -- an issue that appears linked to racial and class discrimination in the country.
The official police version of the events of April 27 is that de los Santos was the victim of a nervous breakdown in his cell and that he himself caused the injuries that lead to his death.
But an autopsy revealed that he was killed, having died from a head trauma.
"If they had the courage to assassinate him, let them show the courage to respond to the Dominican people about what happened to my son," de los Santos' father Cesar Ozuna told AFP at a protest against police abuse in Santo Domingo Tuesday.
Around 100 people demonstrated in the square at the shopping center where de los Santos was arrested late last month.
Protesters wore black, lit candles and held up signs demanding justice for the deceased physical education teacher, whose family claims he was tortured by police, including even burning his testicles.
His death was the third at the hands of authorities since April 5.
Dominican President Luis Abinader promised on Twitter that "none of these cases will remain unpunished."
National police authorities suspended the officers involved at the station located in the fashionable Naco neighborhood, and opened an investigation alongside the public ministry.
"It is about events that cause indignation, pain and shame," said Attorney General Miriam German Brito, whose office has recorded 41 deaths at the hands of police since October 2021.
"There is a certain pattern of behavior that we cannot allow," she added.
- 'Color, economic situation matter' -
The Dominican Republic's National Commission on Human Rights (CNDH) has recorded more than 4,000 deaths during clashes with police or security forces between 2010 and April 2021 -- though they say many such deaths are not reported due to a lack of faith in the judicial system.
CNDH president Manuel Maria Mercedes insists that "color and economic position have a huge influence" on whether someone is likely to suffer police violence in a country where almost a quarter of the population is poor.
"The fact that you come from a poor family, with scarce economic resources, is sufficient to determine the treatment you are given in this type of situation," Mercedes told AFP.
"If David had been the son of a wealthy person... his family would not be crying now."
In October, Abinader made moves to address policing culture in the country when he sacked the director of the national police force and ordered a reform of the institution.
The firing came after the killings of a pair of Evangelical pastors who were shot more than 20 times due to police "confusion" in March 2021, and the death of Leslie Rosado on October 2, who was chased by a police officer she allegedly struck with her car.
Just two weeks before de los Santos's death, another man, Jose Gregorio Custodio, died at the hands of security personnel in the southern town of San Jose de Ocoa.
A video shared by national media showed the moment police officers removed the 38-year-old prisoner from a health center, where police say he had been taken for medical attention.
The footage shows police throwing him onto the pavement and then kicking him repeatedly.
The police said he died on returning to his cell after a stint in hospital due to health problems.
Custodio's family accused them of torturing their son.
The colonel in charge of the police station was sacked during the investigation.
However, national police chief Claudio Peguero insisted on Wednesday that "there was no excess" force used in either case.
"No member (of the police) physically assaulted or physically hit either of these two people," he said.
In another case, 30-year-old Richard Baez died of blunt head trauma in a hospital on April 5 after he had been detained in the northern city of Santiago.
A.F.Rosado--PC