-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
-
From beach to Bulls: relaxed Tsunoda savours rare F1 drive
-
BYDFi Joins Coinfest Asia 2026, Connecting with Institutions, Builders and Traders in Bali
-
Prince Harry: key dates in life of returning UK royal
-
Max Verstappen: Natural-born winner
-
North Korea launches missiles, Seoul says, after Trump floats Kim meet
-
Van Dijk urges Liverpool to make amends for 'unacceptable' season
-
Oil jumps on Iran war tensions, offsetting bond yield fears
-
All Blacks replace Tuipulotu with Holland for Springboks Test
-
Germany identifies far-right suspect in deadly 1970 antisemitic attack
-
Rain delays start of second day's play in England-Pakistan opener
-
PrimeXBT Expands Swap-Free Trading to PXTrader 2.0
-
Russian strikes kill 16 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Record number of locations in France top 40C over summer: AFP analysis
-
'It is tough': Indonesia battles wildfires, bracing for worse to come
-
Trump pledges 'economic warfare' on Iran, prompting Tehran derision
-
Seoul detects North Korean missile launches after Trump says to meet Kim
-
'Girl with a Pearl Earring' in Japan, perhaps for the last time
-
Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses
-
Russian strikes kill 13 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Asian stocks rally as US Treasury steps in to ease bond fears
-
'Simply lovely': Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030
-
Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030: team
-
Australia coach Walters heading to St Helens after World Cup
-
What property giant Evergrande's sentence means for China's economy
-
China jails founder, fines disgraced property giant Evergrande
-
Australian prosecutors demand life in prison for mushroom killer
-
Russian strikes kill 12 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Fallout far-reaching for Australian Rules after latest scandal
-
US India ambassador's Kashmir remarks rile Pakistan; envoy summoned
-
Rafts on Rome's Tiber River cool down overheated tourists
-
In Senegal's Saint-Louis, traces of slave-trading past fade away
-
Top seeds Sabalenka, Zverev stunned in Cincinnati fourth round
-
Russian strikes kill 9 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Australia says relations with Israel 'difficult' after aid worker death
-
Messi scores first goal since father's death in Miami draw
-
PSG start Ligue 1 defence with eye on Champions League hat-trick
-
Mercedes and Max: What to watch as F1 returns for Dutch GP
-
Arsenal can become world's best club: Arteta
-
'People, not robots': Ukraine's soldiers justify human role amid drone revolution
-
Japan's King Kazu, 59, scores twice from spot to make cup history
-
North Sea drilling tests UK govt climate pledge
-
Kyiv's desperate vendors persevere outside obliterated flea market
-
'Ray of hope': Gaza seed bank rebuilds after wartime destruction
-
Australia races to shield little penguins from H5N1 bird flu
-
Mourinho begins second Real Madrid reign with Barca in his sights
-
Messi scores first goal since father's death
-
'More confrontational': Iran's new hardline security leadership
-
US national debt exceeds $40 trillion for first time
-
UK summons Israeli envoy over West Bank settlement project
EU slaps extra tariffs of up to 35.3% on Chinese EVs
The EU on Tuesday decided to impose hefty tariffs on Chinese-made electric cars after an anti-subsidy probe concluded Beijing's support undercut European automakers.
The extra taxes have been controversial, with strong opposition from Germany and Hungary amid fears of provoking China's ire and setting off a bitter trade war.
Beijing previously slammed the European Union's "unfair, non-compliant and unreasonable protectionist practices" during the probe.
"By adopting these proportionate and targeted measures after a rigorous investigation, we're standing up for fair market practices and for the European industrial base," EU trade chief Valdis Dombrovskis said in a statement.
"We welcome competition, including in the electric vehicle sector, but it must be underpinned by fairness and a level playing field," he said.
But Germany's main auto industry group was unhappy, warning the tariffs heighten the risk of "a far-reaching trade conflict".
The duties will come on top of the current 10 percent on imports of electric vehicles from China.
The decision became law following its publication in the EU's official journal later on Tuesday and the duties will enter into force from Wednesday.
Brussels' probe found that China's state subsidies were unfairly undercutting European automakers.
Once they come into effect, the tariffs will be definitive and last for five years.
The extra duties also apply, at various rates, to vehicles made in China by foreign groups such as Tesla -- which faces a tariff of 7.8 percent.
Chinese car giant Geely -- one of the country's largest sellers of EVs -- faces an extra duty of 18.8 percent, while SAIC will be hit with the highest at 35.3 percent.
- Ailing companies -
The tariffs do not have the support of the majority of the EU's 27 member states but in a vote early this month, the opposition was not enough to block them - which would have required at least 15 states representing 65 percent of the bloc's population.
The EU launched the probe in a bid to protect its automobile industry, a major player that provides jobs to around 14 million people.
France, which pushed for the investigation, welcomed the decision.
"The European Union is taking a crucial decision to protect and defend our trade interests, at a time when our car industry needs our support more than ever," French Finance Antoine Armand said in a statement.
But Europe's bigger carmakers, including German auto titan Volkswagen, have criticised the EU's approach and have urged Brussels to resolve the issue through talks.
The extra tariffs are "a step backwards for free global trade and thus for prosperity, job preservation and growth in Europe," the German Association of the Automotive Industry's president Hildegard Mueller said on Tuesday after the announcement.
Volkswagen, which has been hit hard by rising competition in China, has previously said the tariffs would not improve the competitiveness of the European automotive industry.
That warning came weeks before the ailing giant announced plans on Monday to close at least three factories in Germany and cull tens of thousands of jobs.
On Tuesday, Audi, a subsidiary of crisis-hit Volkswagen, announced its intention to stop production of electric vehicles at an embattled factory in Brussels at the end of February next year.
Talks continue between the EU and China and the duties can be lifted if they reach a satisfactory agreement, but officials on both sides have pointed to gaps and differences.
"We remain open to a possible alternative solution that would be effective in addressing the problems identified and WTO-compatible," Dombrovskis said, referring to the World Trade Organization.
- Retaliatory moves -
The EU now faces China's retaliation. China already said on October 8 it would impose provisional tariffs on brandy imported from the EU.
Beijing has also launched probes into EU subsidies of some dairy and pork products imported into China.
Trade tensions between China and the EU are not limited to electric cars, with Brussels also investigating Chinese subsidies for solar panels and wind turbines.
The EU is not alone in levying heavy tariffs on Chinese electric cars.
Canada and the United States have in recent months imposed much higher tariffs of 100 percent on Chinese electric car imports.
burs-raz/yad
R.J.Fidalgo--PC