-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
Meta in court over child social media addiction
Opening arguments begin Tuesday in the federal trial of Meta, the social media titan accused of deliberately making Instagram and Facebook platforms addictive to children, with a coalition of states seeking $200 billion dollars in penalties.
In what many experts have called social media's "big tobacco moment," Meta stands charged with harming children by using technology specifically designed to foster addiction among young users in a similar fashion to cigarettes.
The case could be "the beginning of a broader reckoning" for Meta, Stanford law professor Nora Freeman Engstrom told AFP via email, with the company facing the prospect of having to entirely overhaul its two enormously popular global platforms if it loses.
The company has denied all the allegations, insisting it had worked with parents, experts and law enforcement to incorporate protective safeguards for children.
Meta founder and chief Mark Zuckerberg is among the star witnesses expected to testify, along with Instagram head Adam Mosseri.
This is the first federal trial in what is expected to be a tidal wave of lawsuits also targeting Tiktok, Snapchat and YouTube as families, educators and state governments charge them with harming the mental health of young people.
Meta, which has more than three billion users around the world, is on trial by itself in this case, already stung by two convictions this year in state courts in California and New Mexico. It is appealing both.
Meta "strongly disagrees" with the allegations in the trial, a spokesperson told AFP.
During a hearing last week, a lawyer for the states said they are seeking around $200 billion -- not penalties exceeding $1 trillion, as Meta had claimed in a court filing.
The lawyer said they believe Meta calculated that figure "for shock value."
In addition to financial penalties, the states are demanding changes to Meta's apps to protect young users including limits to screen time.
Four states -- California, Colorado, Kentucky et New Jersey -- are representing a coalition of 29 states that first sued Meta in 2023.
The charges are three-fold: that Meta lied to the public about how dangerous its apps are for minors; designed some features specifically to get them hooked and stay on line, including screen time-limiting ones that are easy to get around; and gathered data on children under age 13 without parental consent, in violation of federal law.
Eight people were selected last week to serve on an advisory jury, but the judge will make the final decision in the case. The trial is expected to last six weeks, with a verdict expected by October.
Zuckerberg is the star witness, appearing six months after a jury in Los Angeles found Meta guilty of harming minors in a landmark case.
The trial will also hear from Arturo Bejar, a former Meta engineer who has emerged as a key figure in the fight against social media giants.
Federal Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers rejected Meta's attempt to block Bejar from testifying, handing the states an early victory.
She described it as a "Hail Mary" effort to "eliminate a strong witness" for the plaintiffs.
Although it is not the first lawsuit that seeks to hold a social media company accountable for mental health and safety issues, it could become one of the most consequential.
- 'Broader reckoning' -
"The huge issue here is reputational harm" and being forced to make major changes, Vincent Joralemon, a director at Berkeley's Life Sciences Law and Policy Center, told AFP.
Experts see parallels with a three-decade-old settlement between dozens of US states and tobacco companies.
"It really feels like tobacco in the 1990s," Joralemon said.
While cases about social media harms revolve around the intersection of technology and addiction, the case against Meta focuses on its business practices, similar to when US regulators sued tobacco companies, Joralemon said.
Dozens of US states sued four major tobacco companies for downplaying the harmful health impacts of their products, and won a 1998 landmark settlement that included financial penalties and changes to product marketing.
Those tobacco companies have paid over $176 billion since, according to data from the National Association of Attorneys General.
They will continue to pay $9 billion annually, according to the settlement.
V.Dantas--PC