-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
Iran's armed forces warned Gulf countries against assisting the US military on Wednesday, hours after the United Arab Emirates announced it was severing economic ties with Tehran following new attacks on shipping.
The Gulf is dotted with US military installations, including in the UAE, which said on Tuesday that Iran had fired two ballistic missiles at vessels off its coast.
Despite a recent lull in hostilities between the United States and Iran, the Strait of Hormuz -- which Tehran has blockaded -- remains a flashpoint, and attacks on commercial ships have continued.
A framework US-Iran deal aimed at reopening the vital trade corridor collapsed, and although both sides recently said messages were being exchanged, US President Donald Trump on Tuesday insisted talks were off, taunting Iran with a social media post depicting the strait as a "NEW U.S. Territory".
Iranian armed forces chief of staff Ali Abdollahi, according to the Mehr news agency, warned "any assistance or facilitation provided to the aggressor US military amounts to participation in the US military operation".
The conflict broke out on February 28 with US-Israeli attacks on the Islamic republic, which retaliated with missile and drone strikes across the region.
Since the start of the war, many Middle Eastern countries have said they would not allow the United States to use their territory as a launchpad for attacks, though Abdollahi cast doubt on those promises.
"It seems unlikely that such a large number of military aircraft, particularly refuelling aircraft, could be present at regional bases without knowledge of host countries," said Abdollahi, adding Gulf countries "should know that we are fully aware of the situation".
Media outlets have reported that Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Bahrain have all hit targets in Iran in retaliation for Tehran's attacks on the Gulf, though the countries have mostly denied the reports.
- 'Halted until further notice' -
On Tuesday, the UAE announced that it was suspending all economic dealings with Iran.
"In light of regional escalations... all trade, commercial exchanges, and financial transactions with Iran have been halted until further notice," foreign ministry communications director Afra Al Hameli said.
Earlier in the day, Abu Dhabi accused Iran of firing two ballistic missiles towards the country, later clarifying the salvo was directed at shipping.
The neighbours across the Gulf share deep cultural and historical ties, and the UAE -- home to a sizable Iranian community -- had been a major trading partner for US-sanctioned Iran, at least before the war.
The UAE recalled its ambassador to Tehran early in the conflict and has shut Iran-linked schools and a hospital.
Tankers belonging to the UAE's state-owned oil company ADNOC have been repeatedly targeted in the past few weeks.
Top US diplomat Marco Rubio spoke to the UAE's national security adviser by phone on Tuesday to discuss "coordination to hold Iran and its terrorist proxies accountable for ongoing attacks", as well as the importance of free passage through Hormuz.
- 'No talks' -
Diplomatic efforts to settle the conflict have stalled, but Trump's envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner had said on Monday that the United States and Iran were having "very positive and active conversations".
The president, however, denied that was the case on Tuesday, again insisting that the Strait of Hormuz was open, despite the Iranian blockade having throttled traffic for months.
"There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect," Trump wrote on social media, referring to a US counter-blockade of Iranian ports.
Earlier Trump had posted a map showing the Strait of Hormuz as a "NEW U.S. Territory", echoing a previous threat to annex the conduit for oil and gas shipments.
The US has largely paused military operations, with US media reporting the war has put a strain on stockpiles of essential munitions, which Trump and the Pentagon have publicly denied.
With months of US military operations having failed to decisively end the conflict, Iranian officials have publicly struck a defiant tone in the face of ongoing threats from Washington.
Iran's parliament speaker and chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf visited Iraq, saying the trip was "aimed at strengthening the new order in the region" and boosting cooperation "without foreign interference".
"Resistance in Iraq is also one of the elements of this country's power," he said, in an apparent reference to the pro-Iran armed groups operating inside the country.
R.J.Fidalgo--PC