-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
Evans leads as Loeb, Ogier crash out of Rally of Portugal
Britain's Elfyn Evans took control of the Rally of Portugal on Friday as early leader Sebastien Loeb and fellow Frenchman Sebastien Ogier were both forced to retire.
Evans, 33, winner in Portugal last year, won four of the day's eight stages to top world championship leading teammate Kalle Rovanpera of Finland by 13.6sec at the end of the day.
Nine-time world champion Loeb won the first three specials but was forced to retire in SS5 after crashing into a wall, with Ogier's bid for a record breaking sixth Rally of Portugal win was hit by two punctures when he was without a spare wheel.
Loeb who is 'freelancing' in the WRC for Ford in a handful of rallies this season, hit the front at the end of SS4 to end the morning session 0.5 seconds ahead of Toyota's Evans.
But the 48-year-old was forced out in the fifth stage after hitting a wall to rip the right rear wheel from the car.
Evans produced the best time during the mountainous second stage at Lousa and was again the fastest on the third stage layout at Gois.
After Loeb's retirement the Welsh driver surged back ahead, winning SS6 and SS9, managing to avoid the multiple hazards on the deteriorating roads.
His Toyota teammate Rovanpera, who has already won in Sweden and Croatia, won two stages SS7 and SS8.
Eight-time world champion Ogier pulled out in the seventh special.
Ogier won SS5 to sit third only 4.8sec adrift of Evans, but pulled up on SS6 after suffering a front-left puncture, losing more than two minutes as he and co-driver Benjamin Veillas fitted a spare wheel.
Freelancing with Japanese manufacturer Toyota, Ogier again punctured in SS7 and without a spare at his disposal the 38-year-old could not continue.
After three rounds of the championship contested on asphalt and snow, the drivers in Portugal are back on gravel.
Based in Matosinhos, near Porto, the stages take in dirt roads in the centre and north of the country, which are dusty during the first passages, brittle and uneven later.
Saturday's route includes two loops of three stages in the regions of Braga and Porto, before a timed stage on a 3.3km urban layout in Porto.
L.Henrique--PC