-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
Geneva winner Ruud says Wimbledon points penalty 'unfair'
Casper Ruud said Saturday it was unfair on grass-court specialists that they cannot earn ranking points at Wimbledon as the clay-court star looks to rack them up at the French Open.
The world number eight goes into Roland Garros in hot form on his favourite surface, having successfully defended his Geneva Open title on Saturday following last week's run to the Rome semi-finals.
But while the Norwegian is -- by his own admission -- no ace on the grass, he felt for those players who see Wimbledon as their annual chance to shine at a Slam.
Wimbledon was stripped of ranking points on Friday by the sport's main tours in a move which threatens to reduce the Grand Slam to the status of a high-profile exhibition event.
The ATP and WTA acted in response to Wimbledon banning Russian and Belarusian players following the invasion of Ukraine.
"It's tough to mix politics with sport," Ruud told reporters after surviving a spirited challenge from Joao Sousa in the Geneva final.
"Wimbledon is not where I make most of my points, so for me, it's doesn't matter too much when you think about the points but for other players it's of course unfair that they cannot even get the chance," said Ruud.
"Everyone can understand both sides of the situation. First of all the statement to ban the Russians and Belarusians, it's tough. This decision is tough to know what is right and what is wrong."
Sousa added: "The ATP is trying to do their best for the players.
"Wimbledon made a decision that I'm not happy with, but that's their decision and I have to respect them."
- Ruud respect -
Ruud beat Portuguese world number 79 Sousa 7-6 (7/3), 4-6, 7-6 (7/1) in a close-fought duel that lasted just over three hours in draining temperatures that neared 30 degrees Celsius.
"It's given me confidence and hopefully some respect in the opponents' eyes," said Ruud.
"They will know my results and know I've been on a good roll the last two weeks and playing good matches and winning a lot of clay court matches.
"I hope I can continue the streak and have a good run in Paris."
French Open title favourites Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and rising star Carlos Alcaraz are in the other half of the draw from Ruud, leaving Stefanos Tsitsipas as his biggest potential obstacle on the road to the final.
"They are probably the four favourites to win and three of them are in the same half of the draw, so of course it's a good opportunity for me to have a good result in the Grand Slam," said Ruud.
P.Mira--PC