-
Timberwolves center Gobert suspended after another flagrant foul
-
Guardiola hails Man City's 'massive' win over Newcastle
-
PSG win to reclaim Ligue 1 lead after Lens lose to Monaco
-
Man City down Newcastle to pile pressure on Arsenal, Chelsea held
-
Man City close gap on Arsenal after O'Reilly sinks Newcastle
-
Finland down Slovakia to claim bronze in men's ice hockey
-
More than 1,500 request amnesty under new Venezuela law
-
US salsa legend Willie Colon dead at 75
-
Canada beat Britain to win fourth Olympic men's curling gold
-
Fly-half Jalibert ruled out of France side to face Italy
-
Russell restart try 'big moment' in Scotland win, says Townsend
-
Kane helps Bayern extend Bundesliga lead as Dortmund held by Leipzig
-
Liga leaders Real Madrid stung by late Osasuna winner
-
Ilker Catak's 'Yellow Letters' wins Golden Bear at Berlin film festival
-
England's Genge says thumping Six Nations loss to Ireland exposes 'scar tissue'
-
Thousands march in France for slain far-right activist
-
Imperious Alcaraz storms to Qatar Open title
-
Klaebo makes Olympic history as Gu forced to wait
-
Late Scotland try breaks Welsh hearts in Six Nations
-
Lens lose, giving PSG chance to reclaim Ligue 1 lead
-
FIFA's Gaza support 'in keeping' with international federation - IOC
-
First all-Pakistani production makes history at Berlin film fest
-
Gu forced to wait as heavy snow postpones Olympic halfpipe final
-
NASA chief rules out March launch of Moon mission over technical issues
-
Dutch double as Bergsma and Groenewoud win Olympic speed skating gold
-
At least three dead as migrant boat capsizes off Greek island
-
Struggling Juventus' woes deepen with home loss to Como
-
Chelsea, Aston Villa held in blow to Champions League hopes
-
Thousands march in France for slain far-right activist under heavy security
-
Kane nets double as Bundesliga leaders Bayern beat Frankfurt
-
Canada beat USA to take bronze in Olympic women's curling
-
Hunger and belief key to Ireland's win, says Sheehan
-
Pegula sees off Svitolina to win Dubai WTA 1000 title
-
Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
-
AI revolution looms over Berlin film fest
-
Gibson-Park guides Ireland to record-breaking win in England
-
Defence the priority for France against Italy, says Dupont
-
Juventus end bad week with 2-0 loss against Como
-
Libya's Ramadan celebrations tempered by economic woes
-
Norway's cross-country king Klaebo wins sixth gold of Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
-
Iranian students chant anti-government slogans, as US threats loom
-
Hezbollah vows resistance after deadly Israeli strike
-
'Stormy seas' of Gaza row overshadow Berlin film fest finale
-
Pakistan-New Zealand Super Eights clash delayed by rain
-
Werder Bremen cancel US tour citing 'political reasons'
-
South Africa's De Kock says handling pressure key in India clash
-
French volunteer bakes for Ukraine amid frosts and power outages
-
Mexico's Del Toro wins stage to take overall UAE Tour lead
-
Brook says a 'shame' if Pakistan players snubbed for Hundred
-
Gu shoots for elusive gold as Klaebo makes Olympic history
Rome champion Alcaraz expects French Open threat from 'insane' Sinner
Carlos Alcaraz won the Italian Open on Sunday after beating Jannik Sinner in straight sets but expects his rival to be "really dangerous" at Roland Garros as he steps up his return from a three-month doping ban.
Alcaraz fended off two set points late in the first set and then seized control in the tie-break before pulling away for a 7-6 (7/5), 6-1 win, his fourth in a row over world number one Sinner.
The Spaniard snapped Sinner's 26-match winning run to claim his first Rome crown and seventh Masters 1000 title, denying Italy its first male champion at the tournament since Adriano Panatta in 1976. Alcaraz was also the last player to beat Sinner, in last year's China Open final.
Sunday's showdown could well be a prelude to the French Open final, with Sinner and Alcaraz set to be kept apart in the draw as the latter will return to second in the rankings on Monday.
Alcaraz, who beat Sinner in a five-set semi-final en route to the Roland Garros trophy 12 months ago, has few doubts the Italian will again be a major contender in the French capital.
"The level he has played in this tournament is insane after three months without playing, without any tournament," said Alcaraz.
"I mean, what he has done, it's amazing. I mean, it's something that I have to have respect on that.
"I'm pretty sure he's going to be better and better. This week of practising, he's going to feel better. If he's winning in Roland Garros and he's going farther, I think much better he's going to feel.
"He's going to be a really dangerous player in Paris."
Alcaraz won his third title of the season after eventually dominating Sinner and silencing the over 10,000 fans packed into the centre court stands at the Foro Italico.
The Spaniard claimed victory in his fourth final of the season and sent a clear message that he is near the top of his game going into the year's second Grand Slam.
"Beating Jannik and winning in Rome, I think both things mixed together give you a great confidence coming to Paris," said Alcaraz.
"He's (one of) the best players in the world. It doesn't matter that he was out of the tour for three months. Every tournament he's playing, he plays great. The numbers are there. He wins almost every match he plays.
"That's why I'm even more focused when I play against him. If I don't play at my best, 10 out of 10, it's going to be impossible to beat him."
Alcaraz is the only man to beat Sinner in a tour final since the start of 2024, when his Italian rival began his rise to the top of men's tennis and three Grand Slam titles.
The 22-year-old has had a hugely impressive clay court swing this season even with the thigh injury which cost him the chance to compete at the Madrid Open.
Alcaraz won his second Masters 1000 title of the year in Rome to go alongside his victory at Monte Carlo last month. He also reached the final in Barcelona.
Finishing runner-up is still a hugely positive result for Sinner in his first tournament since his three-month ban for testing positive twice in March last year for traces of clostebol, a contamination doping authorities accepted was accidental.
Sinner let two set points slip in game 12 of the first set and that was the turning point in the match, with Alcaraz rattling off the first three points of the tie-break before going ahead in the match.
Alcaraz then moved through the gears to win the first five games of the second set as he powered to his 19th career title -- drawing level with Sinner.
Sinner's encouraging return though sets him up for another deep run at Roland Garros, despite his relative lack of match practice having not played since retaining his Australian Open crown in January before arriving in Rome.
"Talking (in) general, (I'm) very happy about this tournament. It gives me then hopefully confidence to play some good tennis also in Paris," said Sinner.
"After three months coming here making this result means a lot to me.
"For sure there are some things like we saw today what we have to improve if we want to do good in Paris. I am closer than expected in a way of everything."
M.Carneiro--PC