-
Man City down Newcastle to pile pressure on Arsenal, Chelsea held
-
Man City close gap on Arsenal after O'Reilly sinks Newcastle
-
Finland down Slovakia to claim bronze in men's ice hockey
-
More than 1,500 request amnesty under new Venezuela law
-
US salsa legend Willie Colon dead at 75
-
Canada beat Britain to win fourth Olympic men's curling gold
-
Fly-half Jalibert ruled out of France side to face Italy
-
Russell restart try 'big moment' in Scotland win, says Townsend
-
Kane helps Bayern extend Bundesliga lead as Dortmund held by Leipzig
-
Liga leaders Real Madrid stung by late Osasuna winner
-
Ilker Catak's 'Yellow Letters' wins Golden Bear at Berlin film festival
-
England's Genge says thumping Six Nations loss to Ireland exposes 'scar tissue'
-
Thousands march in France for slain far-right activist
-
Imperious Alcaraz storms to Qatar Open title
-
Klaebo makes Olympic history as Gu forced to wait
-
Late Scotland try breaks Welsh hearts in Six Nations
-
Lens lose, giving PSG chance to reclaim Ligue 1 lead
-
FIFA's Gaza support 'in keeping' with international federation - IOC
-
First all-Pakistani production makes history at Berlin film fest
-
Gu forced to wait as heavy snow postpones Olympic halfpipe final
-
NASA chief rules out March launch of Moon mission over technical issues
-
Dutch double as Bergsma and Groenewoud win Olympic speed skating gold
-
At least three dead as migrant boat capsizes off Greek island
-
Struggling Juventus' woes deepen with home loss to Como
-
Chelsea, Aston Villa held in blow to Champions League hopes
-
Thousands march in France for slain far-right activist under heavy security
-
Kane nets double as Bundesliga leaders Bayern beat Frankfurt
-
Canada beat USA to take bronze in Olympic women's curling
-
Hunger and belief key to Ireland's win, says Sheehan
-
Pegula sees off Svitolina to win Dubai WTA 1000 title
-
Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
-
AI revolution looms over Berlin film fest
-
Gibson-Park guides Ireland to record-breaking win in England
-
Defence the priority for France against Italy, says Dupont
-
Juventus end bad week with 2-0 loss against Como
-
Libya's Ramadan celebrations tempered by economic woes
-
Norway's cross-country king Klaebo wins sixth gold of Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
-
Iranian students chant anti-government slogans, as US threats loom
-
Hezbollah vows resistance after deadly Israeli strike
-
'Stormy seas' of Gaza row overshadow Berlin film fest finale
-
Pakistan-New Zealand Super Eights clash delayed by rain
-
Werder Bremen cancel US tour citing 'political reasons'
-
South Africa's De Kock says handling pressure key in India clash
-
French volunteer bakes for Ukraine amid frosts and power outages
-
Mexico's Del Toro wins stage to take overall UAE Tour lead
-
Brook says a 'shame' if Pakistan players snubbed for Hundred
-
Gu shoots for elusive gold as Klaebo makes Olympic history
-
France win Olympic ski mountaineering mixed relay
-
Norway's Klaebo wins sixth gold of Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
-
Global summit calls for 'secure, trustworthy and robust AI'
UEFA move to defuse anger over Infantino delay at FIFA Congress
UEFA on Monday moved to defuse the situation after fuming European delates staged a walkout at FIFA's Congress in Paraguay last week when world football chief Gianni Infantino jetted in late following meetings in Saudi Arabia and Qatar with US President Donald Trump.
FIFA president Infantino's belated arrival at the global governing body's annual meeting on Thursday caused a delay of more than two hours.
UEFA chief Aleksander Ceferin, along with other representatives of European football, including the president of the Norwegian FA, left the 75th FIFA Congress in protest at the delay.
On Monday, European football's governing body described the relationship between Ceferin and Infantino as "very good... marked by open communication and mutual respect".
"The recent episode was isolated and does not reflect our ongoing collaboration," the UEFA statement added.
The annual meeting of world football, already pushed back an hour from its original schedule, finally began more than two hours late.
Infantino for his part issued an apology for his tardiness in remarks to the congress before the delegates left.
Infantino blamed flight problems for his late arrival but stressed the importance of attending the meetings in Qatar and Saudi Arabia, the hosts of the 2022 and 2034 World Cups respectively.
"As FIFA president, my responsibility is to make decisions in the best interests of the organization (...) I felt I had to be there to represent football and all of you," Infantino said of his visit to the Gulf.
UEFA issued a strongly worded statement following the walkout, describing the disruption as "deeply regrettable", accusing the FIFA chief of putting his "private political interests" ahead of the sport.
Ceferin has publicly opposed Infantino on several issues in recent years, particularly the plan — ultimately abandoned — to hold the World Cup every two years instead of every four.
Recently, the UEFA president described the prospect of a 64-team World Cup in 2030 to celebrate the tournament's centenary, as a "bad idea".
H.Silva--PC