-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
Saudi to end LIV Golf funding this year: reports
Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund will stop financing LIV Golf at the end of the 2026 season, throwing the future of the breakaway tour into serious doubt, US media reported Wednesday.
LIV Golf, founded in 2022 as a main rival to the PGA Tour, plans to inform staff and players on Thursday that the Saudi Public Investment Fund will no longer bankroll the circuit beyond this summer, the Wall Street Journal said.
The league, which spent billions of Saudi dollars to lure many of the world's top players including Bryson DeChambeau and Phil Mickelson, will "evaluate strategic alternatives" to continue operating, CNBC reported.
Both the Wall Street Journal and CNBC cited multiple anonymous sources. LIV Golf did not comment when repeatedly contacted by AFP.
Reports first emerged earlier this month that the breakaway tour was on the verge of collapse due to the possible withdrawal of Saudi financing.
LIV's deep-pocketed backers in Riyadh were rumored to have cooled on the extravagantly expensive project, which has reportedly cost them over $5 billion so far.
LIV Golf CEO Scott O'Neil refuted the reports, vowing to continue the season "full throttle," though he conceded the league would "probably" have to raise money going forward.
A collapse of LIV Golf could jeopardize the careers and earnings of its star players.
The likes of DeChambeau defected from the PGA Tour in acrimonious circumstances, and may face severe penalties if they try to return.
"There were rules, and they were broken," PGA Tour chief executive Brian Rolapp told the Journal this week. "With rules comes accountability."
LIV Golf this week postponed its planned June tournament in New Orleans on Tuesday, with officials saying they hope to reschedule an event for later this year.
LIV's next tournament is set for May 7-10 at Trump National in suburban Washington.
Its final scheduled tournament this season is set to take place in Indianapolis from August 20-23.
N.Esteves--PC