-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
Zarco dominates Le Mans qualifying as Marquez struggles
Johann Zarco again shone at his home race setting the fastest time Friday in qualifying for the French MotoGP Grand Prix, as reigning world champion Marc Marquez finished 13th.
A year after winning at Le Mans in the rain, Zarco sparkled on a dry, sunny afternoon at the Bugatti circuit on his LCR Honda.
After finishing fourth fastest in free practice in the morning, the 35-year-old had the French fans on their feet as he led qualifying with a time of 1 minute 29.907 seconds, 0.010sec ahead of Italian Fabio Di Giannantonio on a Ducati VR46.
Another Italian Francesco Bagnaia was 0.138 back on a factory Ducati.
"I'm really happy; the bike is much better and more competitive," Zarco said. "I've never felt this good on it this year."
"It's already high motion to lead the Friday practice in front of my crowd, over all after what I have lived last year, that is still a dream just coming here, knowing that I got the victory last year, and all the people are screaming for another one. So starting the Friday in first position, doesn't give any points, doesn't give any podiums, but it just gives us even more hope or even more possibility to dream," said Zarco.
Spaniards Alex Marquez (Ducati-Gresini), Joan Mir (Honda) and Jorge Martin (Aprilia) took fourth, fifth and sixth.
Italian Marco Bezzecchi (Aprilia), the World Championship leader, Spaniard Alex Rins (Yamaha) Japanese rider Ai Ogura (Aprilia-Trackhouse) and another Spaniard and Pedro Acosta (KTM) rounded out the top ten, who advance directly to the 12-man shoot-out for the the places on the first four rows of the grid.
Marc Marquez, on a factory Ducati, was nearly half a second behind Zarco and will have to try to secure one of the top two spots in Saturday's first qualifying session.
"It was a difficult day right from the start," said Marquez. "It was tricky to get a good feel for the bike. Even though things were getting better and better on the bike, I didn't manage to put in a very good lap. But the important thing is that the bike is working well. I just need to adapt my riding style and improve in all areas," said the seven-time World Champion.
P.L.Madureira--PC