-
Japan lights torch as countdown begins to Asian Games
-
Zverev advances at Cincinnati while Williams sisters fall
-
Make it rain: Indonesia chases clouds to stem El Nino fires
-
Copper powers profit rise at mining giant BHP
-
All aboard as Asian Games preparations enter 'final stages'
-
Whales spark joy in New York but face threats from boat traffic
-
Lights out, crowds gone: Havana waits for what comes next
-
Premier League's new bosses brace for battle
-
How families in Milei's Argentina sank deep into debt
-
Zambia's Hichilema: 'cattle boy' and two-time president
-
Zambia's Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote
-
Elderly far more at risk from rising heat than thought: study
-
Jeanie Buss to fight siblings over sale of 17.8% stake in Lakers: reports
-
Brazil's Lula hails new oil find as 'passport to the future'
-
Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states' merger lawsuit
-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
Middlesbrough face Hull in football's richest game after 'spygate' row
Middlesbrough and Hull will meet in the richest game in world football at Wembley on Saturday, competing for a place in the Premier League in a match overshadowed by Southampton's "spygate" saga.
Saints were expelled from the Championship play-offs this week after admitting to spying on opponents' training sessions, with beaten semi-finalists Middlesbrough reinstated.
Boro accused Southampton of snooping on them before the first leg of their play-off semi-final earlier this month.
A photograph subsequently emerged of a man standing behind a tree, apparently recording images on his phone.
The English Football League said Southampton had been kicked out after admitting to "multiple breaches of EFL regulations related to the unauthorised filming of other clubs' training".
Saints also admitted to spying on Oxford and Ipswich earlier in the campaign and were handed a four-point deduction for next season in the English second tier.
Middlesbrough boss Kim Hellberg said in his pre-match press conference on Thursday that the spying scandal had taken its toll.
Asked about his dreams of victory, he said: "I don't sleep. I haven't slept for one and a half weeks, I think, so there are no dreams.
"Hopefully, I get a good night's sleep today, and then I will tell you about the dreams tomorrow."
Hull manager Sergej Jakirovic told the BBC his team had been "collateral damage" in the drama.
He told reporters that Southampton had "crossed a line" but questioned what value they could have got from doing it.
Jakirovic has been waiting to find out who his team's opponents would be due to legal hearings.
"When you (the media) told me about 'spygate' after the first leg (of the semi-final against Millwall), I started to laugh, because why (would you do it)?
"I know everything about every team, and this is my first season here, I know every player -- but this is my job."
- Financial prize -
Football finance experts Deloitte said the team that makes it to the Premier League, alongside already promoted Coventry and Ipswich, stands to earn at least £205 million ($275 million) over the next three seasons.
That could rise to around £365 million if the club survives their first season in the Premier League.
The figures take account of projected increases in matchday, broadcast and commercial revenues.
"Irrespective of the events of the last couple of weeks, this fixture is always one of the most eagerly anticipated in the football calendar, representing the biggest financial prize in world football," said Tim Bridge, lead partner of Deloitte's Sports Business Group.
Hull and Middlesbrough were both relegated from the Premier League in 2017.
Southampton's appeal against expulsion was dismissed on Wednesday, with Boro, beaten 2-1 on aggregate in the semi-finals, replacing Saints.
Southampton chief executive Phil Parsons said the sanctions imposed were "manifestly disproportionate".
The club's player of the year Leo Scienza described the punishment as "heartbreaking" and said fans "definitely deserved better".
"For me, the dream of playing in the Premier League was something I fought for with everything I had," he posted on Instagram. "That's why this pain cuts so deep."
Tonda Eckert's future as Southampton boss is now in major doubt, while reports suggest players are considering legal action against the club.
The Football Association said Thursday it was investigating Southampton and considering whether charges should be brought.
E.Borba--PC