-
Brazil's Lula hails new oil find as 'passport to the future'
-
Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states' merger lawsuit
-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
Carrick appointed as Man Utd permanent coach
Michael Carrick said he wanted to make Manchester United challengers for major trophies again after the club confirmed him as their new permanent head coach on a two-year contract on Friday.
The former United midfielder and captain has overseen a dramatic improvement in form at Old Trafford since taking over following Ruben Amorim's acrimonious exit in January.
Carrick secured Champions League football with three matches to spare and United wrapped up third spot with Sunday's 3-2 Premier League victory against Nottingham Forest -- his 11th win in 16 games.
The 44-year-old had been backed for the job by a number of players and has now been rewarded with a new deal.
"Manchester United is delighted to announce that Michael Carrick will continue as head coach of the men's first team, having signed a new contract which will run to 2028," the club said in a statement on their website.
Carrick won five Premier League titles and the Champions League among a cascade of trophies as a player at United under Alex Ferguson.
But the club have have not mounted a realistic challenge for the Premier League since Ferguson retired as a champion in 2013, eclipsed as the dominant force in English football by neighbours Manchester City.
Carrick said ever since he first arrived at United as a player 20 years ago he had felt the "magic" of the club.
Now the former Middlesbrough boss, who has had previous coaching stints at United, wants to build on his achievements since January.
"It's good to make steps, good to get in the Champions League, good to finish third, but (I want) to make this place better," the ex-England international told club media.
"I must admit on Sunday in the stadium it felt a little bit different. There was a real togetherness and kind of enjoyment from everyone and that was powerful for me.
"Supporting Manchester United and looking forward to what can happen should always be like that. That's the drive (to win trophies) and for us to reward the fans would be pretty special."
Carrick's deal takes him through to 2028, when United co-owners Ineos want to celebrate the club's 150th anniversary with the league title.
The midfielder has the chance to become the first man to win the Premier League as both player and manager.
"I'd take that right now," Carrick said. "That's the goal and I've got to believe it. That's what we've got to aim for. It's where we want to be as a club."
Director of football Jason Wilcox said the new permanent boss had impressed since taking the helm at Old Trafford.
"Michael's achievements in leading the club back to the Champions League should not be understated," he said.
"He has forged a strong bond with the players and can be proud of the winning culture at Carrington (training ground) and in the dressing room, which we are continuing to build."
E.Paulino--PC