-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
-
Paul Pogba to be released by Monaco: club
-
UK PM unveils plan to help rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Texas Counseling Center Highlights the Role of Counseling in Supporting Immigration Psychological Evaluations
-
Tokyo opposes US sanctions on Japanese ICC chief Akane
-
Pakistan govt to challenge court on moving ex-PM Khan to private hospital
-
Humanoid-maker Unitree surges more than 600% on Shanghai debut
-
India four wickets away from victory in Sri Lanka Test
-
Bowling great Donald warns Bangladesh that Australia will hit back hard
-
Belgian wildfire 'encircled' but situation still 'complicated'
-
STARPRIME Completes Beta Testing of Market-Maker Model for Retail Brokers
South Korea president apologises after World Cup group-stage exit
South Korean President Lee Jae Myung condemned the country's premature World Cup exit on Sunday, pointing the finger at "incompetent people" and apologising to the nation.
South Korea's turbulent campaign in North America ended at the group phase and could lead to the international retirement of captain Son Heung-min.
After three days of anxious waiting to see if they would squeeze into the knockout rounds as one of the eight third-placed finishers, results went against South Korea to send them home.
Deeply unpopular coach Hong Myung-bo is sure to be fired or will quit, and the nation's president promised wholesale reform.
"When loyalty and factionalism are valued over competence, and incompetent people are appointed to leadership positions, the outcome is all but inevitable," Lee said in a post on X.
"I offer my deepest apologies to the public for the profound disappointment caused by this unacceptable outcome.
"We will move swiftly to reform sports administration to ensure that nothing like this happens again," he added, without elaborating.
South Korea had the last 32 at the World Cup within grasp only to suffer a shock 1-0 loss to lower-ranked South Africa.
The much-maligned coach Hong caused a surprise when he dropped the attacking talisman Son to the bench in a gamble that backfired.
They finished third in Group A behind the co-hosts Mexico and South Africa, having also lost 1-0 to Mexico.
They beat the Czech Republic 2-1 to start their World Cup, but that was as good as it got for Hong and the fading Son.
The criticism back home was immediately fierce, with Hong firmly in the firing line.
Yonhap News Agency called South Korea's exit "dismal".
"The national team suffered the humiliation of a 2026 World Cup group-stage exit after three days of agonising hope," Yonhap said.
South Korea's tournament was overshadowed by a row between the squad and local media, while a drone also buzzed a crucial training session before the Mexico defeat.
Former Tottenham attacker Son, who now plays for Los Angeles FC, has hinted in the past at international retirement.
The daily Sports Chosun expects that to be it now for the player who has carried South Korea so often and scored 56 goals for his country.
"Son Heung-min's final World Cup ends in heartbreak," a headline said.
He turns 34 next month.
H.Portela--PC