-
WADA pledges vigilance on Russian athletes ahead of 2028 Olympics
-
Lee, Baena guide Atletico to opening Liga win over Malaga
-
NASA satellite rescue mission fails
-
Ecuador intel chief, five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
-
Cobolli halts Jodar to reach Cincinnati quarter-finals
-
Robinson and Tongue share match ball after dismissing Pakistan
-
As election looms, Netanyahu puts Turkey in Israel's crosshairs
-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
Verdict due in Burkina leader Sankara's 1987 assassination trial
A court in Burkina Faso will on Wednesday hand down the long-awaited verdict in the prosecution of 14 men accused of assassinating revolutionary leader Thomas Sankara, crowning a six-month trial marked by grim testimony and disrupted by a military coup.
Revered among pan-Africanist radicals, Sankara was an army captain aged just 33 when he came to power in a coup in 1983.
The fiery Marxist-Leninist railed against imperialism and colonialism, often angering Western leaders but gaining followers across the continent and beyond.
He and 12 colleagues were gunned down by a hit squad on October 15, 1987, at a meeting of the ruling National Revolutionary Council.
The massacre coincided with a coup that took Sankara's erstwhile comrade Blaise Compaore to power.
Throughout his 27-year reign, Compaore clamped a tight lid on the circumstances of Sankara's demise, fuelling speculation that he was the mastermind.
The historic trial into Sankara's death opened last October, more than 34 years after his death.
- Tried in absentia -
Prosecutors at a military court in the capital Ouagadougou have demanded a 30-year jail term for Compaore, who now lives in exile in neighbouring Ivory Coast.
Compaore is being tried in absentia on counts of attacking state security, concealing a corpse and complicity in a murder.
He denies the charges.
The prosecution is also seeking 30 years for Hyacinthe Kafando, who is suspected of having led the hit squad. Kafando, who later commanded Compaore's presidential guard, is also being tried in absentia.
It is calling for a 20-year sentence for Gilbert Diendere, one of the commanders of the army during the 1987 coup and the main defendant present at the trial.
He is already serving a 20-year sentence over an attempted military coup in 2015.
In its closing statement, the prosecution recounted in grim detail the day Sankara was killed.
As Sankara headed to the National Revolutionary Council meeting, "his executioners were already there," it said.
After Sankara entered the meeting room, the hit squad burst in, killing his guards, the prosecution said.
"The squad then ordered president Sankara and his colleagues to leave the room. They would then be killed one by one."
Ballistics experts told the trial Sankara had been shot in the chest at least seven times by assassins using tracer rounds.
But the defendants said the victims died in a botched attempt to arrest Sankara after he and Compaore fell out over the direction the country's revolution was taking.
- 'Asking for justice' -
The trial was briefly suspended after a coup on January 24 that deposed the elected president, Roch Marc Christian Kabore.
One of the world's poorest countries, Burkina has a long history of political turmoil, but was a relative oasis of peace until jihadist insurgents encroached from neighbouring Mali in 2015.
Their campaign has claimed some 2,000 lives and displaced some 1.8 million people.
The trial resumed after new military strongman Paul-Henri Sandaogo Damiba restored the constitution and swore an oath.
Compaore, who was deposed by a popular uprising in 2014, has boycotted what his lawyers dismiss as a "political trial."
Prosper Farama, the lawyer representing the Sankara family, said that, as the trial nears its end, the families were finally feeling some relief -- even though "during this trial, no-one confessed or repented. No-one!"
"We ask the court to give the families justice," he said. "We don't want revenge, we're simply asking for justice."
B.Godinho--PC