-
'More confrontational': Iran's new hardline security leadership
-
US national debt exceeds $40 trillion for first time
-
UK summons Israeli envoy over West Bank settlement project
-
Brazilian narco violence spills over into tranquil Bolivia
-
Trump vows 'tremendous' economic costs on Iran partners
-
Trump's devoted 'human printer' in media glare
-
Germany, France, UN condemn far-right Israeli minister's 'inhumane' Gaza remarks
-
Top seed Zverev bundled out by Paul in rain-hit Cincinnati upset
-
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK: British press
-
WADA pledges vigilance on Russian athletes ahead of 2028 Olympics
-
Lee, Baena guide Atletico to opening Liga win over Malaga
-
NASA satellite rescue mission fails
-
Ecuador intel chief, five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
-
Cobolli halts Jodar to reach Cincinnati quarter-finals
-
Robinson and Tongue share match ball after dismissing Pakistan
-
As election looms, Netanyahu puts Turkey in Israel's crosshairs
-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
Sudan court acquits Bashir-era figures of plotting against transition
A Sudanese court on Thursday acquitted politicians and figures linked to the deposed regime of president Omar al-Bashir of plotting to overthrow the transition, a lawyer said.
The case involved 13 defendants including the head of the former ruling National Congress Party, Ibrahim Ghandour, who is also an ex-foreign minister under Bashir.
Following Bashir's April 2019 ouster, Sudan embarked on a fragile transition toward civilian rule which was derailed in an October military coup.
The accused were charged in 2020 during the now-deposed civilian-military transitional administration but trial began only a few months ago, according to defence lawyer Abdalla Derf.
They were accused of an array of charges including undermining constitutional order and financing terrorism during the transition, Derf said.
"The court ordered the acquittal of all the defendants and their immediate release," Derf told AFP.
He said the prosecution can still appeal the case but the court "found no evidence to condemn the defendants."
Thursday's verdict comes as Sudan grapples with the political and economic fallout of the coup led by army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan.
Burhan has since tightened his grip on power, ousting from top posts Sudan's main civilian alliance the Forces for Freedom and Change, which spearheaded anti-Bashir protests.
The NCP hailed the verdict in favour of the party's "leaders, figures, and youths after a long litigation process that lasted some 22 months".
It also accused the FFC of "fabricating" the charges.
"We see the innocence of our party leaders as an opportunity for a new national launch and building a future fenced with comprehensive national consent," it said in a statement.
Sudan's latest military power grab triggered widespread international condemnation, crucial aid cuts, and regular mass protests across the country.
G.Teles--PC