-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
UK acted unlawfully in Covid care home discharges: judges
The UK government acted unlawfully by discharging elderly hospital patients into care homes in the early stages of the coronavirus pandemic, where many died, two judges ruled on Wednesday.
Policies in place as the virus took hold in Britain in early 2020 failed to take into account the risk to elderly and vulnerable residents from asymptomatic transmission, said the High Court judges.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson's government has been repeatedly criticised for its initial response to the global health crisis.
In October last year, lawmakers concluded that "many thousands of deaths" could have been avoided had elderly patients been tested before they were discharged into care homes.
Johnson's former chief aide, Dominic Cummings, has even accused the then health secretary Matt Hancock of having lied to colleagues that patients were tested.
Wednesday's ruling at the High Court in London came in a case brought against Hancock and Public Health England by two women whose fathers died from Covid-19.
Evidence from policy documents in March and early April 2020 showed that the government "simply failed to take into account the highly relevant consideration of the risk to elderly and vulnerable residents from asymptomatic transmission", said the judges.
Despite "growing awareness", the issue was not addressed until the middle of the following month, when testing was made a requirement, they added.
A spokesman for Hancock said in response that the public health body had "failed to tell ministers what they knew about asymptomatic transmission".
"Mr Hancock has frequently stated how he wished this had been brought to his attention earlier," the spokesman added.
- Abandoned -
One of the claimants, Fay Harris, said outside court that Johnson should resign because of the government's "reckless and unlawful" policies.
"Their actions exposed many vulnerable people to a greater risk of death -- and many thousands did die," she told reporters.
"It has only increased the distress to me and many others that the government have not been honest and owned up to their mistakes."
Helen Wildbore, director of the Relatives and Residents Association, a charity for older people needing care, said the ruling confirmed that the government's claim it had thrown up a "protective ring" around care homes was "non-existent".
"Older people were abandoned at the outset of the pandemic," she added.
In parliament, Johnson said the government would study the ruling and respond in due course.
But he added that the early stage of the pandemic was "an incredibly difficult time... and we didn't know very much about the disease.
"The thing that we didn't know in particular was that Covid could be transmitted asymptomatically in the way that it was, and that was something that I wish we had known more about other time," he added.
Britain has had one of the highest death tolls in the pandemic: more than 174,000 people have died within 28 days of a positive test.
In the last seven days, nearly 2,300 people have died, according to the latest government data.
L.Torres--PC