-
Tourism boom pushes limits of Athens air traffic control
-
Clark fends off McIlroy to win BMW Championship
-
Liga holders Barcelona crush Elche, Atletico salvage Villarreal draw
-
Raphinha, Lopez hit braces as Barcelona trounce Elche
-
Spain's World Cup hero Torres saves PSG's blushes at Rennes
-
Macron hosts Saudi crown prince for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Swiss forward Embolo joins Atlanta United
-
Jamieson gets Trump call after ending 14-year golf title drought
-
Former cricket captains appeal to Pakistan over Khan health care
-
Norwegian King Harald's health has 'deteriorated': palace
-
Latest 'Spider-Man' tops American box office for 4th weekend
-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
Death toll climbs to 18 in Havana hotel blast, gas leak suspected
The death toll from a powerful explosion at a five-star hotel in central Havana climbed to 18 Friday with more than 50 people injured after a suspected gas leak, according to new official tallies.
Rescuers combed through what remained of the prestigious Saratoga Hotel looking for survivors as ambulances ferried the injured to hospital and paramedics treated those with less severe ailments on the spot.
"Unfortunately 18 have died," Julio Guerra, head of the Health Ministry's hospital services said during a press conference, upping the toll from nine earlier in the day.
Both the ministry and the Cuban presidency said that dozens had been injured in the blast but cited different numbers in the range of approximately 50 to 65 people.
The first four floors of the establishment, which was empty of guests while being renovated, were gutted in the late-morning blast that sent a cloud of dust and smoke billowing into the air.
"Search and rescue work continues in the hotel, where it is possible that other people are trapped," Havana Communist Party official Luis Antonio Torres Iribar said, with several people reported missing.
The blast tore off large parts of the facade, blew out windows and destroyed cars parked outside the hotel, which is known for having hosted celebrities such as Madonna, Beyonce, Mick Jagger and Rihanna.
The dome of a nearby Baptist church also collapsed.
Inside the hotel at the time were employees preparing for its post-refurbishment reopening, scheduled for next Tuesday.
President Miguel Diaz-Canel visited the site of the explosion and victims in hospital
Miguel Hernan Estevez, director of the hospital Hermanos Almejeiras, said a two-year-old boy had undergone surgery for a fractured skull.
"So far we have no information that any foreigner was either injured or killed, but... this is preliminary information," added Tourism Minister Juan Carlos Garcia Granda.
- Not a bomb -
Roberto Calzadilla of state company Gaviota, which owns the hotel, said the explosion happened while a gas tank was being refilled.
"It was neither a bomb nor an attack, it was an unfortunate accident," said Diaz-Canel, who arrived at the scene an hour after the blast accompanied by the prime minister and National Assembly president.
Cuba was hit by a wave of anti-communist bombing attacks on hotels in 1997, in which an Italian tourist was killed and six people injured.
Ambulances and fire trucks rushed to the scene Friday and police cordoned off the area, dispersing people who swarmed to the hotel near Havana's emblematic National Capitol Building that housed Congress prior to the Cuban revolution.
It is also next to a school, but no pupils were injured, according to the presidency.
Rogelio Garcia, a bicycle taxi driver who was passing by the hotel at the time of the explosion recounted that "we felt a huge explosion and (saw) a cloud of dust... many people ran out."
"There was a terrible explosion and everything collapsed," said a woman, her face covered in dust, who declined to give her name.
According to the website of the Saratoga Hotel, it is an upmarket establishment with 96 rooms, two bars, two restaurants, a spa and gym.
It was built in 1880 to house shops and converted into a hotel in 1933.
"The United States sends heartfelt condolences to all of those affected by the tragic explosion this morning," said US State Department spokesman Ned Price on Twitter.
Mexico's Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard, meanwhile, said President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador would not cancel a trip to Cuba planned for Sunday.
"Our solidarity to the victims and affected, as well as to the people of that dear brotherly people," the minister tweeted.
Condolences additionally poured in from Bolivia, EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell and Nicolas Maduro, the president of close Cuban ally Venezuela, who said that "the Cuban people have the solidarity and support of all the peoples of the world" and especially Venezuelans.
V.Fontes--PC