-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
Two Jewish men stabbed in 'terrorist' attack in London
Two Jewish men were stabbed Wednesday in north London, an attack police declared a "terrorist incident" and which follows a series of arson attacks targeting Jewish sites.
King Charles III, Prime Minister Keir Starmer and London mayor Sadiq Khan led the condemnation of the "appalling" assaults in Golders Green, which is home to a large Jewish population.
Police said a 45-year-old man had been arrested after having also tried to stab officers. The two victims -- aged 76 and 34 -- were in a stable condition in hospital.
Speaking from the scene and facing heckles from some in the local community, Metropolitan police commissioner Mark Rowley said the suspect has "a history of serious violence and mental health issues".
"Let me be clear: this is an attack on one community (and) an attack on one community is an attack on all London's communities," Rowley added.
Starmer echoed the sentiment, saying on X that "attacks on our Jewish community are attacks on Britain" while vowing "those responsible will be brought to justice".
The UK leader will convene an emergency meeting of senior ministers and officials later Wednesday, according to the area's MP, Sarah Sackman.
King Charles III, who is on a state visit to the United States, said he was "deeply concerned" in a statement issued by Buckhingham Palace.
The stabbings come after a spate of arson attacks on synagogues and other Jewish sites in north London in recent weeks that have heightened security fears for the community.
- 'Horrific attack' -
Israel's foreign ministry condemned Starmer's government shortly following Wednesday's incident.
"After attacks on synagogues, Jewish institutions, community ambulances and now Jews targeted in Golders Green, the UK government can no longer claim this is under control," it said on X.
Assistant Commissioner Laurence Taylor, Head of UK Counter Terrorism Policing, said the stabbings had "now formally been declared a terrorist incident".
Counter-terror officers and the capital's Metropolitan police were "also working with the security services to ensure we have a full intelligence picture", he added.
"One of the lines of enquiry is whether this attack was deliberately targeting the Jewish community," Taylor noted, standing outside the Met's New Scotland Yard headquarters in central London.
The incident unfolded shortly after 11:00 am (1000 GMT), with the Shomrim Jewish neighbourhood watch group first reporting that a knife-wielding man was "attempting to stab Jewish members of the public".
Shomrim members helped detain the suspect before police arrived and subdued him using an electroshock weapon. The response of the Jewish volunteers' earned widespread praise.
The victims were also treated at the scene by Hatzola, a Jewish volunteer ambulance service.
The stabbings follow a deadly assault on a synagogue in Manchester last October on the Jewish holy day of Yom Kippur.
That attack killed two people and seriously injured three, prompting increased anxiety among Jewish communities.
"Why do we have to live in fear? We're doing our best to live our lives as normal as possible but everyday is a struggle," Shomrim volunteer Stephen Bak told AFP at the Golders Green scene Wednesday.
- 'Shocking' -
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan called the spate of antisemitic attacks "shocking".
"There must be absolutely no place for antisemitism in society," he added on X.
Ephraim Mirvis, Britain's chief rabbi, said the community was "strong" and "resilient" but "such attacks need to stop now".
"Zero tolerance -- that's what our community wants," he told reporters from the scene.
"Our society needs to know this is intolerable... We would like to see actions added to words."
The first London attack in late March saw four ambulances belonging to Hatzola set ablaze.
Other incidents have followed, including an attack on the Kenton United Synagogue in Harrow as well as the premises of a Jewish charity.
Last week, the Finchley Reform Synagogue was targeted.
Police have arrested at least 26 people for the various attacks, launched since the start of the US-Iran war on Iran on February 28.
Many of the incidents have been claimed by a little-known group, believed to be linked to Iran, called Harakat Ashab al-Yamin al-Islamiya (HAYI), meaning The Islamic Movement of the People of the Right Hand.
The Community Security Trust recorded 3,700 instances of anti-Jewish hate across the UK last year, a four-percent rise on 2024, but down on 2023.
Ferreira--PC