-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
UK police charge man with stabbing attack on two Jewish Londoners
UK police announced Friday they have charged a 45-year-old man over the stabbing of two Jewish men in north London, the latest in a string of attacks targeting Britain's Jewish community.
The capital's Metropolitan Police said Essa Suleiman, of Camberwell, south London, had been charged with three counts of attempted murder and one count of possession of a bladed article in a public place.
One attempted murder count relates to a separate south London incident Wednesday in which the knife-wielding Suleiman allegedly had "an altercation" with the occupant of a flat, according to the Met.
The other charges cover the attack in Golders Green, a north London area with a large Jewish population, which has left the community feeling increasingly vulnerable and highly critical of authorities.
A British national who was born in Somalia and came to the UK as a child, Suleiman will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court later Friday.
The Golders Green stabbing, which unfolded in broad daylight, was promptly declared a "terrorist incident", with Counter Terrorism Policing leading the ongoing investigation.
Two men -- aged 76 and 34 -- were treated at the scene for stab wounds before being taken to hospital. The 34-year-old has since been released while the 76-year-old remains in a stable condition in hospital, police said.
"We are determined to get justice for the victims," Commander Helen Flanagan, who is leading the investigation, said in its statement.
"Now that a person has been charged, I would urge everyone to avoid any further speculation in relation to this case so that justice can run its course."
- 'Jewish pain' -
Facing accusations from angry British Jews that his government has repeatedly failed to protect them, Prime Minister Keir Starmer vowed Thursday to boost security for the Jewish community.
He faced boos and heckles when visiting the scene of the attack.
Later, in a televised address from Downing Street, he urged Britons to unite against antisemitism, calling on "everyone decent in this country to open their eyes to Jewish pain, Jewish suffering and Jewish fear".
Met Police Commissioner Mark Rowley told Times Radio on Friday the UK was "facing a building pandemic of antisemitism in society".
"My problem is what we're dealing with in policing, we're dealing with the symptoms of that disease," he added.
"We need work done upstream to tackle those attitudes in society which are far too prevalent."
The interior ministry has announced that the country's terrorism threat level had been raised to "severe", the second highest in the five-tier system.
It means another attack "is highly likely in the next six months".
The ministry has also confirmed an extra £25 million ($33 million) would pay for more protective security for Jewish synagogues, schools, places of worship and community centres.
It comes nearly seven months after a deadly attack at a synagogue in Manchester, and a recent string of arson incidents targeting Jewish sites in north London.
Monitoring groups have reported a surge in antisemitic and Islamophobic incidents in Britain, particularly since the war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza began.
Starmer is under growing pressure to place fresh curbs on contentious pro-Palestinian protests, which critics claim are a hotbed of antisemitism.
His government last year handed police increased powers to regulate them.
Nigel Farage, leader of the hard-right Reform UK party, visited the Golders Green attack scene Thursday and accused the authorities of being too "soft" on "discriminatory" chants.
L.Mesquita--PC