-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
-
Kushner to meet Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on Gaza plan
-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Is this cave in Turkey where Homer wrote 'The Odyssey'?
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea hours before start
-
Winning back walls from gangs, artists fill El Salvador's towns with color
-
Jason Arday: UK academic who died amid plagiarism storm
-
Opening arguments expected in Tupac murder trial
Rescuers search for 20 missing after Philippine building collapse
Rescuers were racing on Sunday to free two workers pinned under a building that collapsed in the northern Philippines, killing a Malaysian man and leaving 20 people missing.
The search for survivors continued as night fell, with firemen shining small lights into the rubble for signs of life.
Twenty-six people have been rescued so far after the nine-storey building collapsed in Angeles City, 80 kilometres (50 miles) north of the capital Manila.
The disaster also damaged a nearby hotel and killed a 65-year-old Malaysian guest, Mohd Rezal bin Abdullah, officials said.
The man, from Malaysia's northern Sabah state, had managed to communicate with rescuers by phone while pinned under a hotel wall shortly after the collapse at 3:00 am Sunday (1900 GMT Saturday), acting Philippine fire chief Rico Kwan Tiu told AFP.
"Unfortunately, when we retrieved him just now, he was already lifeless," he added.
"We are trying to rescue two (workers)" from the nine-storey building, Kwan Tiu said.
"They are conscious but pinned underneath."
City Mayor Carmelo Lazatin told reporters "almost all of (those inside the collapsed building) were asleep because this happened in the early hours of the morning".
Rescuers posted footage on the regional fire service's Facebook page showing a fireman using a power tool to try to free a man in a blue shirt who moaned in pain beneath a scaffolding of metal tubes and plyboard.
"Relax, brother," the fireman is heard telling the victim.
Another clip showed firemen in orange helmets and clothing inserting themselves through narrow gaps among rubble in an attempt to find other trapped workers.
The cause of the collapse is yet to be determined.
- 'Loud noise' -
Delivery rider James Bernardo, 30, told AFP by telephone he had just dropped off food on the same street when the disaster unfolded.
"A few seconds later, there was suddenly a loud noise in the area, and when I looked, I realised that (the building) had already collapsed," Bernardo said.
"Thank God I'm safe."
A video clip taken by Bernardo and verified by AFP showed a giant pile of twisted steel beams, power pylons and slabs of concrete blocking the street as fellow witnesses took photographs with their phones.
In the clip, Bernardo can be heard saying, "We thought it was an earthquake, but it turned out it was the building (collapsing)."
City information officer Jay Pelayo told AFP the nine-storey building's walls and scaffolding had buckled, likely trapping people in a pile of debris.
"There are big chunks of concrete and we need equipment to lift them up. That is what's challenging for the rescue right now," Pelayo said.
Rescuers working at the disaster site did not have powerful flood lights to help them locate those trapped under the rubble, AFP journalists saw.
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority sent rescue equipment and police dogs to aid the rescue, its general manager Nicolas Torre told AFP.
"We also deployed life monitors, listening devices and also our rescue spreaders to help the rescuers since many debris need to be cut and lifted to locate people," Torre said.
N.Esteves--PC