-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
-
Kushner to meet Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on Gaza plan
-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Is this cave in Turkey where Homer wrote 'The Odyssey'?
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea hours before start
-
Winning back walls from gangs, artists fill El Salvador's towns with color
-
Jason Arday: UK academic who died amid plagiarism storm
-
Opening arguments expected in Tupac murder trial
-
Sabbath cafe clash lays bare Israel faultlines
-
As machinery removes rubble, hopes for survivors from Colombian quake dwindle
-
Top-ranked Scheffler powers to PGA St. Jude Championship victory
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea
-
Jacquet scores on Liverpool debut in friendly win over Como
-
Zambia's Hichilema takes early lead in reelection bid
-
Hawaii's Big Island begins recovery efforts as Hurricane Lala downgrades, moves west
-
Sabalenka squeezes out a win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Spidey swings high for third weekend in N. American box office
-
Duplantis dominant, Hunt hits four and Asher-Smith makes history
-
Eagle and late birdie lift Jeeno to LPGA Portland Classic win
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire
-
Duplantis masterclass for fourth Euro pole vault title
-
PSG beaten by Lens in French Champions' Trophy
-
Records for Asher-Smith, Hunt as Britain win 4x100m mixed relay
-
Rybakina, Andreeva race into Cincinnati third round
-
Barcelona reach deal with Man City to sign Rodri
-
Amy Hunt bags fourth Euro gold as Britain win 4x100m mixed relay
-
Misery for Maresca as Man City make dismal start to life after Guardiola
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire: regional leader
-
Strikes kill 19 in Russia and Ukraine
-
Belgium's Pocognoli appointed new Scotland manager
-
Lula and Bolsonaro court women voters as Brazil election campaign kicks off
-
Marchand storms to second gold of European championships
-
Belgium races to tame huge wildfire creeping towards Germany
Philippines ends rescue operation for 12 missing in building collapse
Emergency officials said late on Monday they had ended a two-day rescue operation for at least 12 people believed buried in the debris of a collapsed building in the northern Philippines.
The bodies of four people, including a Malaysian man and two trapped construction workers, have so far been pulled from the debris of the nine-storey condominium project that collapsed onto a nearby hotel in the city of Angeles north of Manila early on Sunday.
There had been hope earlier on Monday when thermal sensors detected what rescue officials described as "signs of life" in one area of the wreckage. However, no survivors or further bodies were subsequently found, regional fire bureau spokeswoman Maria Leah Sajili said.
The rescue operation was formally declared over on Monday night and the search was suspended overnight before "retrieval operations" begin on Tuesday, she told reporters.
The Malaysian man, who was a guest in the hotel, and the two construction workers were all found trapped but alive on Sunday.
However, all three died before they could be pulled from the rubble.
The fourth confirmed fatality has not yet been identified.
Seventeen people had originally been listed as missing but rescue officials said one of them contacted officials on Monday to confirm he had not been in the area at the time, Sajili said.
She said that most of the remaining 16 were construction workers who were sleeping at the site at the time.
Officials said up to 70 people were employed at the construction site, although most had gone home for the weekend.
Alfredo Albis, 55, told AFP he believed two of his cousins who worked with him at the building site were among the missing.
"They were working here to earn for their families," said Albis, who was asleep at a nearby barracks for workers when the structure collapsed.
- Lack of safety gear -
The cause of the collapse is not yet known, but regulators had been monitoring the project.
Labour department inspectors shut the site down briefly in September 2024 over occupational safety standards violations, regional labour department official Geraldine Panlilio said on Monday.
"Our labour inspectors had monitored poor working conditions, a violation that would put our workers at risk," Panlilio said in an interview on Manila radio station DZMM.
Its workers "lacked safety gear" such as hard hats, boots, safety belts and lifelines, and worked under poor lighting and with no visible safety signage, she said.
G.M.Castelo--PC