-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
China launches anti-dumping probe into EU pork imports
China said Monday it had launched an anti-dumping investigation into pork imports from the European Union, the latest step in a mounting trade stand-off between the bloc and its largest economic partner.
Pork is China's most popular meat and a staple of diets in the world's second most populous nation.
Imports of pork and pork by-products from EU nations totalled over three billion dollars last year, Beijing's customs data showed.
The probe is in response to an application submitted by a local trade grouping on behalf of domestic producers, Beijing said.
"The Ministry of Commerce has opened an anti-dumping investigation into imports of relevant pork and pig by-products originating from the European Union," the ministry said in a statement.
It follows the bloc's decision last week to slap additional tariffs of up to 38 percent on Chinese electric car imports from next month after an anti-subsidy probe.
The European Commission pointed to "unfair subsidisation" in China, which it said "is causing a threat of economic injury" to EU electric car makers.
The European Commission has proposed provisional hikes of tariffs on Chinese manufacturers of 17.4 percent for market major BYD, 20 percent for Geely and 38.1 percent for SAIC.
- 'Room for understanding' -
The EU said the amount depended on the level of state subsidies received by the firms.
Beijing warned the tariffs would "harm Europe's own interests" and condemned the bloc's "protectionism".
And it ramped up threats that Beijing could target EU exports, including pork and dairy products, in the wake of the tariff announcement.
After China announced its pork investigation, the European Commission said Monday it "will follow the proceedings very closely in coordination with EU industry and our member states".
"We will intervene as appropriate to ensure that the investigation fully complies with all relevant World Trade Organization rules," spokesperson Olof Gill said.
Spain's agriculture minister Luis Planas said Monday he hoped there would be "room for understanding" over the decision.
The Iberian nation is the EU's largest exporter of pork products to China, selling over 560,000 tonnes to the world's second-largest economy last year at a total value of 1.2 billion euros ($1.3 billion), according to industry body Interporc.
"I've said it time and again: trade wars are not good, especially in the agrifood sector, because in the end they affect the purchasing capacity of citizens and their ability to choose," Planas said.
- Other probes -
Beijing launched an anti-dumping investigation in January into brandy imported from the EU in a move seen as targeting France, which had pushed for the commission's probe.
It also launched an anti-dumping investigation in May into imports of a key engineering chemical from the EU, the United States, Taiwan and Japan.
Its commerce ministry said last week that domestic industries "have the right" to request probes into imports to "protect their own legitimate rights and interests".
Beijing also said last week it "reserves the right" to file a suit with the World Trade Organization over planned new EU tariffs.
Germany's economy minister Robert Habeck will visit China this week, with a spokesman saying he "will not be able to avoid addressing" the topic of tariffs.
F.Carias--PC