-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
One dead as Huthi-claimed drone breaches Israel defences
A drone claimed by Yemen's Huthi rebels slipped through Israel's vaunted air defence system on Friday to hit a Tel Aviv building near a US embassy annex, killing a civilian.
The Huthis fired at Tel Aviv a "new drone called 'Yafa', which is capable of bypassing the enemy's interception systems," said Yahya Saree, the Iran-backed Yemeni movement's spokesman.
The Huthis have targeted shipping in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden with numerous drone and missile attacks since November, citing solidarity with Palestinians during the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza.
They have previously claimed attacks on Israeli cities including Ashdod, Haifa and Eilat, but Friday's strike appears to be the first to breach Israel's intricate air defences.
It comes after they threatened an escalation.
An Israeli military official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said a "very big drone that can travel long distances" was used in the attack which killed one person and occurred at 3:12 am (0012 GMT).
The drone was detected, the official said, but due to "human error" the alarm was not raised in time, and it slammed into an apartment building.
Military spokesman Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari said Israel believed the drone the drone used was Iranian-made and upgraded so that it could reach Tel Aviv from Yemen -- at least 1,800 kilometres (1,100 miles) away.
It was "likely a Samad-3 model, which we estimate was launched from Yemen and reached Tel Aviv," he said, adding the impact killed one civilian and lightly injured others.
Emergency medical services said four people were taken to hospital with "relatively minor" injuries.
- 'Everything blew out' -
In grainy security camera footage, the buzz of what appeared to be the drone was followed by an explosion that shook the building and set off car alarms.
The blast occurred about 100 metres (yards) from a US embassy annex, said an AFP journalist who saw broken windows along the street lined with apartment blocks.
"And then the explosion... everything blew out in the room, the windows and things from the ceiling, and it was on me, nothing heavy, but lots of pieces of stuff," he told AFPTV.
Hagari said Israel "intercepted another UAV trying to infiltrate from the east" at around the same time as the Tel Aviv attack.
"We are investigating why the UAV was not identified as a threat and intercepted before it struck," he said. "I want to emphasise that (Israel's air) defence is not impenetrable."
In recent weeks, the Islamic Resistance in Iraq, a loose alliance of Iran-backed groups, has claimed drone strikes against targets in Israel, labelling many of them "joint operations" with the Huthis.
The Gaza war began with the October 7 attack by Palestinian Hamas militants on Israel which resulted in the deaths of 1,195 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli figures.
The militants also seized 251 hostages, 116 of whom are still in Gaza, including 42 the Israeli military says are dead.
Israel's military retaliation has killed at least 38,848 people, also mostly civilians, according to data from the health ministry in Hamas-ruled Gaza, where fighting raged on Friday.
- 'Moral stain' -
Residents said clashes were heard between Palestinian fighters and the Israeli army, with explosions and shelling in the Tal al-Hawa district of Gaza City.
The war has destroyed much of Gaza's housing and other infrastructure, leaving almost all the population displaced, short of food and drinking water.
Many are living in unsanitary conditions. Health authorities in Gaza and Israel said on Thursday that highly infectious polio has been detected in Gaza sewage samples.
"The humanitarian situation... is a moral stain on us all," said UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has repeatedly insisted that, despite mounting pressure both at home and from abroad, there would be no let-up in Israel's campaign against Hamas.
Far-right members of his governing coalition oppose a truce deal, including National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir who on Thursday said Netanyahu must not make a "surrender" accord with Hamas.
Netanyahu is set to address the US Congress next Wednesday.
The White House said President Joe Biden was expected to meet with him, but it will depend on the US leader's recovery from Covid.
Ahead of Netanyahu's visit, Israeli lawmakers passed a symbolic resolution opposing the creation of a Palestinian state -- a move criticised by the United Nations and one that clashes with US ambitions for the region.
Despite the Israeli vote, White House National Security Council spokesman John Kirby reiterated "our firm belief in the power and the promise of the two-state solution."
burs-dv/it
J.Oliveira--PC