-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
Two children dead, six critically injured in UK knife attack
Two children have been killed and nine more injured, six critically, in a knife attack at a dance class in northern England on Monday, police said.
A 17-year-old male has been arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder over the attack in Southport, near Liverpool in northwest England, which also left two adults with critical injuries, Merseyside Police said in a news conference.
Police chief Serena Kennedy said counter-terror police had offered their support, but that the attack was not being treated as terror-related, and that the motivation was unclear.
All of those injured had been stabbed, she added.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer told the media that "the events today are just truly awful, the whole country is deeply shocked.
"Our thoughts and condolences are with the victims, families, friends and wider community. It is almost impossible to imagine the grief," he added.
- 'Can't imagine the pain' -
Police were called to a property that was hosting a Taylor Swift-themed dance class for young children shortly before midday (1100 GMT), said Kennedy.
Officers were "shocked to find that multiple people, many of whom were children, had been subjected to a ferocious attack", she said.
The suspect apparently walked in from the street and started to attack the children, while adults in the room tried to protect them, added Kennedy.
Armed officers detained the suspect and seized a knife.
"As a mum and nana, I can't begin to imagine the pain and suffering that the families of the victims are going through," said Kennedy.
The North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) said it treated 11 casualties with stab injuries at the scene, who were then taken by ambulance and helicopter to Alder Hey Children's Hospital, and other hospitals in the local area.
Alder Hey Children's Hospital said: "We can confirm that the trust has declared a major incident."
Local business owner Colin Parry, one of the people who called police, told the Press Association news agency that he believed several "young girls" had been stabbed.
Bare Varathan, who owns a local shop, told PA he saw "seven to 10 kids" who were "injured, bleeding", adding that he saw they had been stabbed.
The suspect is in custody and "enquiries are ongoing to establish the motive for this tragic incident", police said.
The area where the incident took place is in a quiet neighbourhood of residential streets.
Some residents who were allowed to come out from the police cordon sealing it off looked shocked, according to an AFP reporter at the scene.
One man who lives in an adjoining street, who did not wish to give his name, told AFP: "It's not what you expect to see in Southport."
R.Veloso--PC