-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
Dutch PM risks early ejection from fire hazard office
Dick Schoof only became the Netherlands' prime minister last month, but he may soon already be shown the door -- of his fire-hazard office in The Hague.
The evacuation of the Torentje -- Dutch for Little Tower -- so that major renovations can be carried out has been delayed countless times at the request of the prime minister's office.
Now The Hague's exasperated mayor has given Schoof an ultimatum: if he does not clear the building by August 31, the city will fine the country's leader 100,000 euros ($109,000) a week.
Schoof only received the keys to the Torentje in July from his predecessor Mark Rutte. After nearly 14 years in the job, Rutte has moved on to become NATO chief.
That tallies with the time The Hague has warned the prime minister of the fire risk his office building poses, according to the mayor, Jan van Zanen.
The premier's office maintains that it is having difficulty moving its IT systems because of state secrets, but van Zanen is doubtful.
"Come on, 14 years! If it's that important sort it out," the mayor said.
- 'Better safe than sorry' -
The renovation of the Binnenhof, a historic complex which houses the Dutch parliament and the Torentje, began three years ago.
With 4,000 rooms spread over 90,000 square metres (968,750 square feet), some of it dating back to the 13th century, the scale of the work is colossal. It will cost at least 2 billion euros and is not due to be completed before 2028.
Given its status as a tourist attraction, a giant staircase has been put in place outside to allow curious visitors to admire the site during the renovation.
One tourist, 27-year-old Jari Boot, said the mayor's ultimatum was "a shame".
"A prime minister should have a fixed office," the Dutch restaurant worker told AFP, calling it "a bit strange that... The Hague should be against the prime minister".
But pensioner Els Crawfurd believed that Schoof "has to move".
"If something happens all hell will break loose and everyone will turn against him, so better safe than sorry," the 80-year-old said.
- 'Power play' -
Since the works began, both the Dutch parliament and Council of State have found refuge elsewhere in The Hague.
But in the prime minister's little tower, on a corner of the Binnenhof by the lake, a small band of indomitable civil servants have held out against the exodus.
Given the fire risk, those remaining officials must even go without the comfort of a kettle.
And all this just 30 metres from the Mauritshuis museum, home to world-renowned paintings such as Vermeer's "Girl with a Pearl Earring".
Having requested the move be postponed until Christmas, Schoof's office told AFP this week that it "shares the concerns about the physical safety of our staff".
But it said that "physical security and state secrets of national security importance must be guaranteed", pointing to "various measures" that had been taken already.
All ministerial meetings are now held elsewhere and some staff have been relocated, the office said, adding that it would respond the mayor's ultimatum soon.
Which means the next chapter in the "power play" pitting the government against the capital is yet to come, as 75-year-old retiree Johan Jacobs put it.
G.M.Castelo--PC