-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
Paris 'flying taxi' flights scrapped during Olympics
Plans to lift an electric-powered "flying taxi" over Paris during the Olympics have been scrapped because certification for its engine has not come through, its promoters said on Thursday.
German manufacturer Volocopter has been conducting test flights in the Paris region for several years and had lobbied hard for authorisation from European authorities in time for the Olympics, which end on Sunday.
Its helicopter-like "Volocity" aircraft is fitted with 18 electric-powered rotors on a circular frame above the fuselage and has two seats, one for a pilot and another for a passenger.
Test flights had been due to take place during the Games, landing on a float on the Seine near the Austerlitz railway station in southeastern Paris, but they will now happen in a suburban town.
The company has partnered with French airport operator ADP, the capital's metro and bus operator RATP, and the Paris regional government.
Certification for VoloCity has been delayed by a few weeks over its motors, ADP deputy CEO Edward Arkwright said.
"We are a little disappointed but in any case we had said that we would not make any compromises with security," he added.
Volocopter CEO Dirk Hoke said the delay was due to "an American supplier who was not capable of providing what he had promised".
He said the motors would be sent back to France next week but not in time for the test flights to be held in Paris before the Olympics close.
The project already had to scale down its ambitions in recent months after it failed to get authorisation from European air safety authorities in time to carry passengers for the Paris test flights.
Its promoters now aim to fly the aircraft from a floating platform on the Seine by the end of the year before the reopening of the capital's Notre Dame Cathedral in December.
"We are still hopeful about flying these aircraft above the Seine before Notre Dame reopens," ADP CEO Augustin de Romanet told Franceinfo radio.
- Paris city opposition -
De Romanet said European certification authorities asked the US supplier to make changes to the motors because they were experiencing "small vibrations".
The companies had hoped to use the global draw of the Olympics to show the technology could efficiently link "vertiport" take-off and landing sites.
However, test flights without passengers will be held in the aerodrome of the suburban town of Saint Cyr l'Ecole, west of Paris, on Thursday and Sunday, they said.
The town is close to the Chateau de Versailles, where Olympic equestrian events are being held.
Backers tout flying taxis as a low-carbon form of aviation and hope future larger versions could be used as ambulances or in other roles.
However, many city officials in Paris have derided the plans as harmful to the environment.
The mayor's office has tried to block the flights in court.
Ferreira--PC