-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
Boxing to learn LA Olympics fate in first half of 2025: IOC chief Bach
International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach said on Friday his organisation would decide in the first half of next year whether or not boxing will be allowed at the 2028 Los Angeles Games.
Boxing has come under intense scrutiny at the Paris Olympics after a furore over the gender of two women fighters after it emerged they had been disqualified from the world championships last year but deemed eligible to compete in Paris.
One of the two, Algerian fighter Imane Khelif, is going for gold in her final later Friday against China's Li Qian. The other, Taiwan's Lin Yu-ting, fights in her final on Saturday.
The issue has been further complicated because the IOC is running the boxing competition in Paris due to deep concerns it has about the governance of the Russian-led International Boxing Association.
Bach has already warned in Paris that boxing's national federations need to find a new and "reliable" international partner for the IOC to be sure the sport features on the programme for 2028.
On Friday, Bach said the IOC would take the decision on its inclusion in the first half of 2025.
"I think the answer is at some point in the next year, as soon as possible but I don't think we can expect a final decision before next year," Bach said.
"I hope we'll have an answer in the first half of next year."
Asked again about whether the IOC was prepared to consider reviewing the gender issue that has dogged the Paris competition, Bach said: "We have said from the very beginning, if someone is presenting us a scientifically solid system how to identify men and women, we are the first ones to do it.
"We do not like this uncertainty. We do not like it for the overall situation so we would be more than pleased to look into it.
"But what is not possible that someone is saying this is not a woman just by looking at somebody or by falling prey to a defamation campaign by a not credible organisation with highly political interest."
Ferreira--PC