-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
All hell broke loose: Sicily yacht sunk in brutal storm
It was still dark when a storm hit the Sicilian port of Porticello early Monday, and within minutes a superyacht had disappeared, taking many of those on board with it.
"At around 4:00am, all hell broke loose," local fisherman Giovanni Lococco told AFP on Tuesday as he surveyed rescuers searching for six people missing.
"First came the wind, then the water -- it was definitely a tornado."
UK tech tycoon Mike Lynch had invited friends and family on board the 56-metre sailing yacht "Bayesian" to celebrate his recent acquittal in a massive US fraud case.
A photograph posted on social media by a local bar showed the yacht all lit up just hours before the storm.
Bad weather had been expected, and the yacht was anchored some 700 metres from the port of Porticello, east of Palermo on Sicily's spectacular northwest coast.
The storm whipped across the coast, upending tables, chairs and plants from outside restaurants.
But the yacht was struck by a waterspout, a sort of mini tornado, that one expert described as "pretty unprecedented".
"We didn't see it coming," captain James Catfield told Italian daily La Repubblica, one of 15 of the 22 passengers and crew who was rescued.
The power of the storm knocked out the video feed on Angelo Formica's boat in Porticello, which he monitored from home.
- 'Gone' -
He had been woken up by the noise, and so went to the port to see what was happening.
"It was about 15, 20 minutes -- maybe 30 at the most -- already the boat was gone," he told AFP of the "Bayesian".
He said he had seen similar whirlwinds before, elsewhere off the Sicilian coast.
"Once I saw a boat a 42-footer that was almost submerged inside the water but fortunately it managed to get out," he said.
Locals were called to help as the news of the shipwreck spread, rushing to the water.
"But we didn't find anyone in the sea, we only found cushions and the remains of the boat," fisherman Fabio Cefalu told AFP.
Karsten Borner, the captain of another yacht anchored nearby, said there was a "very strong hurricane gust" and he had to battle to keep his vessel steady.
All of a sudden "we noticed that the ship behind us was gone", he told journalists in Porticello.
Charlotte Golunski, 35, a colleague of Lynch's, was on deck when the yacht sank and briefly, terrifyingly lost hold of her one-year-old daughter.
She grabbed her again and managed to climb aboard a life raft. "Lots of people were screaming," she told Italian media.
Her partner James Emslie also survived, as did Lynch's wife Angela Bacares, aided by the coastguard but also private boats.
But the body of one man was found, reportedly the yacht's chef, while Lynch, his 18-year-old daughter Hannah and four others remained missing.
S.Pimentel--PC