-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
Volkswagen says considering factory closures in Germany
German automotive giant Volkswagen said Monday it could close production sites in Germany, as the auto industry struggles to manage rising costs.
"In the current situation, even plant closures at vehicle production and component sites can no longer be ruled out," Volkswagen said in an internal memo sent to employees and seen by AFP.
Europe's largest auto manufacturer remained committed to Germany as a "business location" but "headwinds have become significantly stronger", VW brand CEO Thomas Schaefer was quoted in the document as saying.
The challenging conditions meant "we must now step up our efforts" to secure the long-term success of the company, Schaefer said in the note sent to employees.
"We want to remain the leading volume manufacturer worldwide –- and do so on our own strength," Schaefer said.
Volkswagen last year announced plans for a 10-billion-euro ($11-billion) savings programme and has flagged cuts to its workforce over the coming years to improve profitability.
But the group said further measures were now required after disappointing results published in August that showed a dip in profits.
Rising costs and cooling demand in China also meant the group had to lower its profit margin forecasts for the rest of the year.
The core of the Volkswagen group "now faces particularly significant challenges", the memo said.
Despite the cost-saving measures already announced, "the current developments in the automotive market and the German economy demand further action", it said.
The company's board had determined that "the brands within Volkswagen AG must undergo comprehensive restructuring".
"The goal must be to optimise product costs, material costs, and sales performance, as well as factory and labour costs," the memo said, evoking possible plant closures.
"Simple cost-cutting measures" were no longer enough, while the group said it was open to further job cuts, according to the memo.
Nogueira--PC