-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
-
Iraola wants to sign wingers to boost Liverpool's attacking options
-
UK forecasts 'biggest' El Nino will smash records, spark hottest year
-
Maresca needs time to succeed after 'big changes' at Man City
-
Cyclist Alaphilippe attracts tributes as reports say he has quit
-
Meghan faces difficult return to the UK
-
Top-ranked An, holder Yamaguchi reach badminton worlds semi-finals
-
Archer double strengthens England's grip on first Test against Pakistan
-
Iran president says time to end war while in position of strength
-
MEXC Lists Ondo Tokenized Stock Moderna (MRNAON), Expanding Access to U.S. Biotech Exposure
-
Antonelli fastest in sole Dutch GP practice session
-
Japan axes Netflix collaboration after outcry over dating show
Islamic scholar Tariq Ramadan convicted of rape on appeal in Switzerland
Islamic scholar Tariq Ramadan, who faces a string of allegations in Switzerland and France, was found guilty of rape by a Swiss appeals court Tuesday, overturning an earlier lower court acquittal.
After being acquitted last year, a Geneva appeals court said it had found the 62-year-old former Oxford University professor "guilty of rape and sexual coercion" of a woman in a Geneva hotel 15 years ago.
It sentenced him to three years in prison, two of them suspended, marking the first guilty verdict he has been handed.
The verdict was slightly more lenient than the three years in prison -- half suspended -- requested by the prosecutor in the appeals case in May.
"Our client is of course relieved, considering what she has had to endure for the truth to come out," the woman's lawyers Veronique Fontana and Robert Assael told AFP, hailing that "the truth has finally triumphed".
Francois Zimeray, the lawyer who represented the woman during the first trial, meanwhile emphasised that the ruling "came at the cost of years of pain and hardship suffered with dignity by the plaintiff".
"We have rarely experience such brutal proceedings."
The ruling -- dated August 28 but only made public Tuesday -- was expected to be appealed at Switzerland's highest court.
One of Ramadan's French lawyers, Philippe Ohayon, slammed the "many contradictions" in the judicial process.
Ramadan, a charismatic yet controversial figure in European Islam, has always maintained his innocence.
Ramadan's accuser, a Muslim convert identified only as "Brigitte", had testified before the court that he subjected her to rape and other violent sex acts in a Geneva hotel room during the night of October 28, 2008.
The lawyer representing Brigitte said she was repeatedly raped and subjected to "torture and barbarism".
- 'Trap' -
Ramadan said that Brigitte invited herself up to his room. He let her kiss him, he said, before quickly ending the encounter.
He said he was the victim of a "trap".
Brigitte was in her forties at the time of the alleged assault.
She filed a complaint 10 years later, telling the court she felt emboldened to come forward following similar complaints filed against Ramadan in France.
The appeals verdict overturns a lower court finding last year acquitting Ramadan of rape and sexual coercion, citing a lack of evidence, contradictory testimonies and "love messages" sent by the plaintiff after the alleged assault.
But during their appeal, Brigitte's lawyers alleged that Ramadan had exercised significant "control" over the woman, suggesting she had suffered something akin to Stockholm syndrome.
The three appeals court judges pointed to "witness testimony, certificates, medical notes and private expert opinions consistent with the facts presented by the plaintiff".
"Elements collected during the investigation have thus convinced the chamber of the guilt of the accused," the court said in a statement.
Ramadan was a professor of contemporary Islamic studies at Oxford and held visiting roles at universities in Qatar and Morocco.
He was forced to take leave of absence in 2017 when rape allegations surfaced in France at the height of the "Me Too" movement.
In France, he is suspected of raping three women between 2009 and 2016.
His large defence team is fighting a Paris appeals court decision in June that the cases can go to trial.
F.Moura--PC