-
Ex-Pakistan PM Khan taken back to jail after hospital checks: govt
-
'I'll adapt': First pregnant candidate navigates French presidential race
-
China, Indonesia hold talks on security, defence
-
Hong Kong convicts Tiananmen vigil activists of inciting subversion
-
Train to nowhere? South Korea's lonely push for peace with the North
-
The Hong Kong Tiananmen vigil activists convicted in national security trial
-
Australia's Hussey mulls role with England for Ashes series
-
Eel-powered Japan whizz-kid, 11, chases Asian Games history
-
Indian captain 'scapegoat' in Britain's Russia shadow fleet case, wife says
-
Asian markets extend rally as traders assess US Treasuries pledge
-
Rosenior seeks to match Paris FC's capital ambition as Ligue 1 returns
-
Barcelona enter new era as Flick targets La Liga hat-trick
-
Inter set for Serie A title defence as Milan get Amorim reboot
-
Pogacar favourite for Vuelta with Grand Tour treble in sight
-
'Greatest' Springboks face All Blacks in clash of juggernauts
-
Bangladesh coach Simmons wary of Australia backlash in second Test
-
William and Harry: Britain's warring royal brothers
-
Hong Kong Tiananmen activists to receive national security verdict
-
UN holds second informal poll for next leader
-
Who are the candidates vying to lead the UN?
-
In US mining hub, black lung rates soar
-
Swiatek into Cincinnati semis after Rybakina injury
-
Champions Arsenal embrace being 'hunted' as Premier League returns
-
University suspends academic behind Jason Arday plagiarism charges
-
World No.2 Rybakina retires from Cincinnati clash with Swiatek
-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
Hong Kong's New World Development replaces CEO Adrian Cheng
Hong Kong property behemoth New World Development announced Thursday that its chief executive officer Adrian Cheng has been replaced, as the firm reported an annual loss of over US$2.5 billion.
Share trading in property giant New World Development had already been suspended in Hong Kong earlier Thursday ahead of the announcement, as well as trading in the retail unit New World Department Store China.
"Dr. Cheng Chi-Kong, Adrian has tendered his resignation as the chief executive officer of the Company to devote more time on public services and other personal commitments," the company said in a filing to Hong Kong stock exchange published around 4:45 pm (0845 GMT).
It added that he would be replaced with immediate effect by its chief operating officer Ma Siu-cheung, a former Hong Kong development minister also known as Eric Ma.
"(Ma) will no longer serve as the chief operating officer of the Company," it said.
The firm also announced losses attributable to shareholders totalling HK$19.68 billion (US$2.5 billion), which will will mark New World's first annual loss in two decades.
The company last announced a loss in 2004, totalling HK$975 million.
Cheng, 44, is a grandson of late billionaire Cheng Yu-tung and was long considered the heir apparent in the sprawling business empire run by Hong Kong's third-richest family.
The clan is valued at US$22.1 billion by Forbes magazine.
Cheng joined the board of New World Development in 2007 as its executive director and was appointed its CEO in 2020, when the company's revenues slumped by nearly a quarter mid-year to mid-year.
The business empire -- overseen by patriarch Henry Cheng -- spans property, jewellery, department stores and logistics.
The property arm is the largest unit, controlling HK$470.2 billion in assets by the end of 2023.
New World's shares have fallen by about a third since the turn of the year as Hong Kong suffers the longest property market downturn since the SARS pandemic in 2003.
The city has lost at least HK$2.1 trillion since 2019, according to a Bloomberg Intelligence analysis in June.
B.Godinho--PC