-
William and Harry: Britain's warring royal brothers
-
Hong Kong Tiananmen activists to receive national security verdict
-
UN holds second informal poll for next leader
-
Who are the candidates vying to lead the UN?
-
In US mining hub, black lung rates soar
-
Swiatek into Cincinnati semis after Rybakina injury
-
Champions Arsenal embrace being 'hunted' as Premier League returns
-
University suspends academic behind Jason Arday plagiarism charges
-
World No.2 Rybakina retires from Cincinnati clash with Swiatek
-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
Boys out of critical condition after Zurich stabbings
Three five-year-old boys wounded in a stabbing attack on a group of children in Zurich are no longer in mortal danger, prosecutors said Wednesday.
The attack occurred Tuesday on a mostly residential street in the Oerlikon district in the north of Switzerland's biggest city.
A 23-year-old Chinese man arrested at the scene confessed under questioning, Zurich prosecutors said Wednesday.
It said the man had been in Switzerland for study purposes since the middle of last year, without providing further details.
"The presumption of innocence applies" until all legal proceedings have been concluded, it said.
"There have so far been no indications of accomplices or co-perpetrators," it said, adding though that investigations were continuing "intensively".
The prosecutor's office said it had filed a court petition for the suspect to be remanded in custody.
One of the boys had been seriously wounded in the attack, police said Tuesday, while two others were also hurt.
"The injured are three boys aged five. Their lives are now out of danger," prosecutors said Wednesday.
Police said a daycare worker was accompanying several children to the centre when a man suddenly attacked the children with a blade.
"The daycare worker reacted immediately and overpowered the attacker with the help of a man," police said.
- 'Screaming for help' -
Mirco Bruhwiler, a 38-year-old who works nearby, told the 20 Minuten newspaper that he held the suspect until officers arrived.
He said he usually heard the children singing as they passed by, but on Tuesday "they were screaming for help, so I went outside".
Bruhwiler said the suspect was calm and sitting on the ground.
"But I thought I had to hold him so he wouldn't run away, so I took him in a controlled grip," he said.
A woman from the daycare centre immobilised the blade under her foot, the newspaper report added.
20 Minuten also had footage of a police unit entering a residential building not far from the scene of the attack, saying the suspect lived in a one-room apartment.
Stabbings are a rare occurrence in Switzerland, even more so when involving children.
In China, stabbing attacks have multiplied in recent years, including deadly attacks specifically targeting schools.
In July 2023, six people were killed and another injured in a stabbing attack at a kindergarten in the southern province of Guangdong.
And in August 2022, three people died and six others were injured in a stabbing at a kindergarten in the southeastern province of Jiangxi.
C.Cassis--PC