-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
-
Kushner to meet Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on Gaza plan
-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Is this cave in Turkey where Homer wrote 'The Odyssey'?
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea hours before start
-
Winning back walls from gangs, artists fill El Salvador's towns with color
-
Jason Arday: UK academic who died amid plagiarism storm
-
Opening arguments expected in Tupac murder trial
Heineken, Carlsberg join Russia business exodus
Beer makers Heineken and Carlsberg announced Monday that they would pull out of Russia, joining a foreign business exodus following Moscow's invasion of Ukraine.
The brewers had already halted the sale and production of their flagship brands -- Heineken and Carlsberg -- in Russia and suspended new investments and exports to the country earlier this month.
In similarly worded statements, the companies said they decided to offload their businesses in Russia following a "strategic review" of their operations there.
They are following hundreds of Western firms that have closed shops and offices in Russia since the war started, a motley list that includes famous names such as Ikea, Coca-Cola, Goldman Sachs and McDonald's.
"We are shocked and deeply saddened to watch the war in Ukraine continue to unfold and intensify," Heineken, the world's second biggest brewer, said in a statement.
"We have concluded that Heineken's ownership of the business in Russia is no longer sustainable nor viable in the current environment," said the Dutch company, which employs 1,800 people in Russia.
"As a result, we have decided to leave Russia."
Heineken said it would aim for an "orderly transfer" of its business to a new owner in compliance with international and local laws and would not take any profit from the transaction, which will cost the company 400 million euros ($438 million) in exceptional charges.
Heineken is the third-biggest brewer in Russia, where it makes the Zhigulevskoe and Oxota brands for the local market. Its other foreign brands include Amstel, Tiger and Strongbow cider.
A Dutch investor association, VEB, had criticised the brewer for "not really leaving" Russia following its previous announcement about halting Heineken sales earlier this month.
- Guaranteeing salaries -
Heineken said Monday it would continue on reduced operations during a transition period to reduce the risk of nationalisation and "ensure the ongoing safety and wellbeing of our employees".
The salaries of its 1,800 employees in Russia will be paid through to the end of 2022.
Danish rival Carlsberg, which condemned the invasion, said Russia was one of its main markets, with 8,400 employees.
Carlsberg owns Russian brewer Baltika Brewery, whose employees represent a fifth of the beer-maker's global workforce.
"The war in Ukraine, and the escalating humanitarian and refugee crisis, shocks us all," CEO Cees 't Hart said in a statement.
Hart said the company made "the difficult and immediate decision to seek a full disposal of our business in Russia, which we believe is the right thing to do in the current environment".
The company said it expects to incur a "substantial" loss from its departure from Russia, noting it generated revenue of 6.5 billion Danish kronor ($957 million, 874 million euros) and an operating profit of 682 million kronor.
Revenues from the Russian operations will no longer be included in the company's earnings and the impact of its departure will be outlined at a later date.
"We deeply regret the consequences of this decision for our 8,400 employees in Russia," Hart said.
- Ukraine pressure -
Russia has been hit by an onslaught of economic sanctions but foreign companies have also faced public pressure, and calls from the Ukrainian government, to leave Russia.
Some companies have remained in Russia, citing concerns about the fate of their employees or depriving ordinary Russians of vital goods.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky used an address to France's parliament last week to call on French companies still working in Russia to "stop sponsoring" aggression against his country.
Car giant Renault subsequently announced an immediate suspension of operations at its Moscow factory.
But the chief executive of French retail giant Auchan, Yves Claude, defended the company's decision to remain in Russia, citing the need to keep staff employed.
Ukraine called for a global boycott of Auchan.
burs-lth/cdw
P.Cavaco--PC