-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
-
Iraola wants to sign wingers to boost Liverpool's attacking options
-
UK forecasts 'biggest' El Nino will smash records, spark hottest year
-
Maresca needs time to succeed after 'big changes' at Man City
-
Cyclist Alaphilippe attracts tributes as reports say he has quit
-
Meghan faces difficult return to the UK
-
Top-ranked An, holder Yamaguchi reach badminton worlds semi-finals
-
Archer double strengthens England's grip on first Test against Pakistan
-
Iran president says time to end war while in position of strength
-
MEXC Lists Ondo Tokenized Stock Moderna (MRNAON), Expanding Access to U.S. Biotech Exposure
-
Antonelli fastest in sole Dutch GP practice session
-
Japan axes Netflix collaboration after outcry over dating show
-
2,500 dead and rising -- UN says DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'growing exponentially'
-
Stocks tread cautiously as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
England all out for 409, lead Pakistan by 238 runs in 1st Test
-
STARTRADER Launches XAUUSD247, Extending Gold CFD Access Across the Full Week
-
Premier League returns with Arsenal eyeing title dynasty
-
Spurs agree deal to sign Man City's Savinho: reports
-
Bayern knew about Musiala's condition 'a long time ago' says Kompany
-
US-sanctioned ICC head warns against 'demise of international rule of law'
-
Ex-Pakistan PM Khan taken back to jail after hospital checks
-
Top India court orders new steps to protect threatened elephants
Solomons PM says signed China security pact 'with our eyes open'
Solomon Islands Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare said Wednesday his government signed a controversial security pact with China "with our eyes open" but refused to say when it may be published.
The deal, announced by Beijing on Tuesday, has been sharply criticised by the island state's allies the United States and Australia, which fear it could lead to China gaining a military foothold in the South Pacific.
Sogavare told parliament it was an "honour and privilege" to announce that the deal had been signed by officials in Honiara and Beijing "a few days ago".
But he declined to tell the opposition leader when the signed version of the pact would be made public. A bilateral security deal with Australia was published several years ago.
A draft version of the China deal sent a shockwave across the region when it was leaked last month, particularly measures that would allow Chinese naval deployments to the Solomon Islands.
The broad wording of the draft deal prompted a flurry of diplomatic overtures from the United States and Australia to prevent it from being signed but they were ultimately unsuccessful.
Sogavare said the China deal "complements" his country's existing treaty with Australia.
He argued that if the Solomon Islands had continued under the status quo, it would not be able to cover "critical security gaps".
"Let me assure the people that we entered into an arrangement with China with our eyes open, guided by our national interests," he said.
Sogavare asked all of his nation's "neighbours, friends and partners to respect the sovereign interests of the Solomon Islands".
Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne criticised the Solomon Islands Wednesday for "a lack of transparency" and a failure to consult with other Pacific nations about the deal.
She defended not travelling to the Solomons herself to advocate against the pact as Australia's top foreign policy figure -- instead, the country's Pacific Minister Zed Seselja visited last week and asked Sogavare not to sign it.
The United States's top Asia official Kurt Campbell will arrive in the Solomon Islands later this week along with Daniel Kritenbrink, the assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific affairs.
V.Dantas--PC