-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
Zelensky says Russia choosing war as dual ceasefires falter
President Volodymyr Zelensky said Wednesday that Russia had decided to reject efforts to halt fighting and save lives by launching fresh attacks on Ukraine, which had called a unilateral ceasefire.
His comments raise the spectre of retaliatory Ukrainian strikes on Moscow during mass public events celebrating the end of World War II on May 9, after the Kremlin announced it would hold off attacks on Ukraine that day, hoping Kyiv would do the same.
"Russia's choice is an obvious spurning of a ceasefire and of saving lives," Zelensky wrote on social media.
Ukraine, he added, had earlier vowed to "act in kind" to the Russian ceasefire proposal this weekend, when Russians typically flood streets across the country to mark victory over Nazi Germany in World War II.
"It is obvious to any reasonable person that a full-scale war and the daily murdering of people are a bad time for public 'celebrations,'" the Ukrainian leader said.
Kyiv said Russia had attacked eastern and southern Ukraine with more than 100 drones overnight, a day after Russian strikes killed almost 30 Ukrainian civilians.
Moscow had never said it would abide by Kyiv's call to halt fire from midnight on May 6 -- a counter-truce Zelensky proposed after Russia announced a ceasefire to cover its Victory Day parade Saturday on Red Square in Moscow.
Zelensky had dismissed Russia's "utter cynicism" for calling for a ceasefire to protect the parade -- one of the most important days of the year for Russian leader Vladimir Putin -- while launching deadly strikes on his country.
- Frontline fighting -
A Ukrainian officer at the eastern front, speaking on condition of anonymity, told AFP: "The enemy continued to carry out infantry raids and attempts to storm our positions."
Since Russia "did not comply" with the Kyiv-suggested ceasefire, "our unit responded in kind and countered all provocations", he added.
Another frontline commander said: "The intensity of combat operations remains at the same level."
His unit, he said, was also responding: "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth!".
Kyiv said at least one person had been killed in the overnight strikes.
Russian forces also struck a kindergarten in the eastern border region of Sumy on Wednesday morning, killing a security guard, local officials said.
The Kremlin has not commented on the Kyiv-proposed ceasefire, only calling for Ukraine to halt attacks for May 9.
Moscow's defence ministry said it had downed 53 Ukrainian drones between 21:00 and 07:00 (1800-0400 GMT) -- far fewer than in previous days.
It did not say whether any of the drones attacked after Kyiv's unilateral truce was supposed to come into effect at midnight.
Late on Tuesday, Ukrainian drone attacks on the north of Russian-annexed Crimea killed five people, Moscow-installed authorities in the peninsula said.
The strike hit hours after Russia had pounded several Ukrainian cities with the deadliest attacks in weeks -- killing at least 28 people in 24 hours.
Zelensky called on Ukraine's allies to condemn the attacks. A strike on the centre of Zaporizhzhia city, which killed 12 people, had "absolutely no military justification", he added.
- Attacks deep in Russia -
Both sides have stepped up strikes in recent weeks, and the more than four-year war has killed hundreds of thousands of soldiers and tens of thousands of civilians.
Kyiv on Tuesday hit deep inside Russia, killing two people in Cheboksary, a city on the Volga, hundreds of miles from Ukraine.
The attacks have created a sense of nervousness in Russia ahead of the May 9 parade. Moscow has said it will remove military hardware from the procession for the first time in almost 20 years.
It has also started intermittent city-wide internet shutdowns lasting until Saturday.
Zelensky has called this a sign of weakness, saying: "They fear drones may buzz over Red Square."
Talks on ending what has spiralled into Europe's worst conflict since World War II have shown little progress and have been sidelines by the Iran conflict.
Moscow is demanding that Ukraine withdraw from four regions it claims as its own -- terms seen as unacceptable to Kyiv.
T.Batista--PC