-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
Myanmar complains over pariah treatment in ASEAN bloc
Myanmar claimed on Monday that "discriminatory measures" are shutting it out of the ASEAN bloc after a summit last week saw the organisation continue to blacklist the country's post-coup leadership.
The 11-country Association of Southeast Asian Nations has shunned Myanmar from summits since the military in 2021 deposed the elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi and detained the democratic figurehead, triggering a civil war.
After five years of martial rule, the junta staged a tightly restricted election excluding Suu Kyi's party that last month resulted in putsch-leading military chief Min Aung Hlaing taking over as civilian president.
At an ASEAN summit in the Philippines last week, the hosting country's President Ferdinand Marcos complained there had not been "any progress in Myanmar".
Myanmar's foreign ministry, in a statement, claimed that on the contrary, "positive developments taking place in Myanmar have been well recognized by the majority of ASEAN Member States".
"However, it is observed that a few Member States continue to maintain restrictions, discriminatory measures, and the exclusion of the Myanmar Government from equal representation."
ASEAN is suffering from a fraying consensus over Myanmar, analysts say, with frustration growing over a lack of progress on the bloc's peace plan to end the nation's civil war.
Some countries, such as neighbouring Thailand, congratulated Myanmar's coup-leader-turned-president Min Aung Hlaing when he was sworn in, pledging to make efforts to stabilise their shared border.
Others have remained aloof about Min Aung Hlaing's inauguration following an election widely criticised by democracy monitors for cracking down on dissent and not including opposition parties and voters in rebel-held territories.
At the summit in the Philippines, Malaysian Foreign Minister Mohamad Hasan said Myanmar was not ready to reclaim a seat at the table because "atrocities towards their own citizens are still occurring".
Countries including Indonesia and Singapore -- which will take the bloc's rotating chair next year -- are widely believed to side with Malaysia.
But Myanmar's foreign ministry said "non-constructive engagement with the new government of Myanmar" would "disregard the genuine will of the Myanmar people, who exercised their democratic rights".
"Over the past five years, despite facing unequal treatment arising from the positions of certain ASEAN Member States, Myanmar has exercised patience," it added.
While it did not name specific countries, it also accused some nations of "interfering in Myanmar's internal affairs through criticism and pressure".
Myanmar has used similar language to criticise East Timor, the bloc's newest member, after a Dili court opened a case against Min Aung Hlaing for war crimes and crimes against humanity.
Rights activists in Muslim-majority Indonesia have also filed a complaint with their country's attorney general, accusing the junta he led of atrocities including genocide against the Rohingya minority.
E.Borba--PC