-
Ex-Pakistan PM Khan taken back to jail after hospital checks: govt
-
'I'll adapt': First pregnant candidate navigates French presidential race
-
China, Indonesia hold talks on security, defence
-
Hong Kong convicts Tiananmen vigil activists of inciting subversion
-
Train to nowhere? South Korea's lonely push for peace with the North
-
The Hong Kong Tiananmen vigil activists convicted in national security trial
-
Australia's Hussey mulls role with England for Ashes series
-
Eel-powered Japan whizz-kid, 11, chases Asian Games history
-
Indian captain 'scapegoat' in Britain's Russia shadow fleet case, wife says
-
Asian markets extend rally as traders assess US Treasuries pledge
-
Rosenior seeks to match Paris FC's capital ambition as Ligue 1 returns
-
Barcelona enter new era as Flick targets La Liga hat-trick
-
Inter set for Serie A title defence as Milan get Amorim reboot
-
Pogacar favourite for Vuelta with Grand Tour treble in sight
-
'Greatest' Springboks face All Blacks in clash of juggernauts
-
Bangladesh coach Simmons wary of Australia backlash in second Test
-
William and Harry: Britain's warring royal brothers
-
Hong Kong Tiananmen activists to receive national security verdict
-
UN holds second informal poll for next leader
-
Who are the candidates vying to lead the UN?
-
In US mining hub, black lung rates soar
-
Swiatek into Cincinnati semis after Rybakina injury
-
Champions Arsenal embrace being 'hunted' as Premier League returns
-
University suspends academic behind Jason Arday plagiarism charges
-
World No.2 Rybakina retires from Cincinnati clash with Swiatek
-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
US renews offer of $100 mn to Cuba if it cooperates
The United States on Wednesday renewed an offer of $100 million in aid for Cuba, pressuring its longtime nemesis to cooperate as it weathers an economic crisis that includes prolonged blackouts.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio, speaking last week in Rome, said that Cuba had rejected an offer of $100 million in assistance, an assertion denied by the communist government in Havana.
The State Department on Wednesday publicly renewed the proposal, which comes after the United States piled new sanctions against key parts of Cuba's state-controlled economy.
"The regime refuses to allow the United States to provide this assistance to the Cuban people, who are in desperate need of assistance due to the failures of Cuba's corrupt regime," the State Department said.
"The decision rests with the Cuban regime to accept our offer of assistance or deny critical (life)-saving aid and ultimately be accountable to the Cuban people for standing in the way of critical assistance," it said.
It said that the support would include direct humanitarian assistance from the United States and funding for "fast and free" internet access -- which presumably would benefit dissidents in the one-party state that restricts media.
The United States, the statement said, was working to promote "meaningful reforms" in Cuba.
- Energy woes -
Cuba's power supplies have been dropping to new lows, according to data compiled by AFP, with prolonged blackouts and record generation shortfalls in recent days.
Sixty-five percent of Cuban territory endured simultaneous blackouts on Tuesday, according to the data.
Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel on Wednesday acknowledged the "particularly tense" situation but pinned blame squarely on the United States.
"This dramatic worsening has a single cause: the genocidal energy blockade to which the United States subjects our country, threatening irrational tariffs against any nation that supplies us with fuel," he wrote on X.
Cuba's economic woes intensified in January after the United States deposed Venezuela's leftist leader Nicolas Maduro, whose government had been providing around half of the island's fuel needs.
Since then, only one Russian tanker has reached Cuba,
President Donald Trump's administration already provided $6 million in humanitarian aid to Cuba but channeled it through the charity of the Catholic Church, which has long played a go-between role for the two countries.
After Rubio's initial comments in Rome, Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez said the offer was a "lie" that "no one here knows anything about."
"Will it be a donation, a deception or a dirty deal to curtail our independence? Wouldn't it be easier to lift the fuel blockade?" Rodriguez wrote on X.
Rubio, a Cuban-American who vociferously opposed the communist system founded by Fidel Castro, has been widely reported to be in contact with segments of the Cuban elite in hopes of stirring change.
Trump has publicly mused about taking over the island, which has been under a US embargo almost continuously since Castro's 1959 revolution.
Last week the United States imposed sanctions on a Cuban military conglomerate that controls nearly 40 percent of the economy, after Trump signed an order to punish any foreign banks that transact with US-blacklisted entities.
M.A.Vaz--PC