-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
Kyrgios unrepentant after Miami meltdown
Nick Kyrgios refused to apologize for his Miami Open meltdown Tuesday and insisted he couldn’t care less about receiving further sanctions from tennis bosses.
Kyrgios, who was fined $25,000 for racquet abuse and verbal obscenities after losing to Rafael Nadal in Indian Wells earlier this month, lost his head in the Miami heat and spent his fourth-round match delivering a blistering verbal assault on "dreadful" Brazilian match umpire Carlos Bernardes before crashing out 7-6 (7/3), 6-3 to Italy's Jannik Sinner.
The Australian became involved in a running war of words after the walkie-talkie of Bernardes went off mid-point in the first set.
Kyrgios was seething with Bernardes, who was also in charge of his controversial match with Nadal, calling him "an absolute clown" before raging: "This is one of the biggest tournaments and you guys can't do your job. It's embarrassing."
The Aussie also snapped: "You wonder why no one watches this sport. It's a laughing stock."
Kyrgios refused to let his anger lie and, having already received a code violation for an audible obscenity, was hit with a point penalty at 5-3 in the first set tie-break for unsportsmanlike conduct after appearing to talk with a friend who was sitting courtside.
A game penalty was then issued at the start of the second set after Kyrgios shattered his racquet.
"I just don’t think he (Bernardes) controls the crowd well at all," the Australian told AFP.
"For the point penalty, all I said to my team was that Matthew Reid, an ex-player, could do just as good a job. If that's worth a point penalty at a Masters event, that is ridiculous in my opinion.
"When everyone in the crowd is booing an umpire and he is becoming the center of attention, that is not his job. No one in the stadium came to see him talk or do what he does.
"You've got Jannik Sinner who is one of our greatest stars and, not to toot my horn, the majority of people are there to watch me play.
"And you have a guy talking while I was 40-0 up. He was talking. I was like 'what are you doing?' The crowd actually hated him that much they told him to be quiet.
"If you are getting booed by the crowd you are not doing a good job.
"He made it about himself and apparently his feelings were hurt from what I said and the crowd said. You can't be like that if you're an umpire."
- Selfie seeker -
Kyrgios, who said earlier this week that he was at "peace" with himself on and off the court, was also involved in a bizarre incident on the Grandstand court when a fan ran onto the playing surface and managed to get a selfie with him.
"I knew Nick was trying to raise his level," Sinner said. "But I just tried to stay calm somehow and be in the present moment."
Further repercussions could be forthcoming yet Kyrgios added: "I don’t think it's fair and I hate bringing the same things up all the time.
"But (Denis) Shapovalov nailed a ball in someone's eyeball (during a Davis Cup match in 2017) and got fined $5,000. I threw a racquet at Indian Wells and didn’t even hit anyone and got $25,000," added Kyrgios, whose post-defeat racquet fling at Indian Wells had a ballboy ducking out of the way.
"Where is the balance? How much do I bring to the sport? That's the problem with tennis - it doesn't protect our stars at all. We love to outcast them.
"I have one incident where I threw a racquet which didn't hit anyone, I know it can be dangerous but I went back the next day and apologized to the kid," Kyrgios said. "He will remember that for the rest of his life."
Meanwhile, Kyrgios said, Bernardes would get "a slap on the wrist" for a "horrendous" performance.
"The ATP won’t do anything about him," Kyrgios said.
Kyrgios is still in the doubles with Thanasi Kokkinakis. The pair, who won the Australian Open doubles title earlier this year, beat Marcel Granollers and Horacio Zeballos to move into the semi-finals.
L.Carrico--PC