-
Tomb more than 1,000 years old found in Panama
-
France's Galthie lauds 'success story' Italy ahead of Six Nations clash
-
Brumbies confident of snapping 26-year Christchurch drought
-
Penge and Bridgeman share Riviera lead with McIlroy in hot pursuit
-
Australia blow as goalkeeper Micah ruled out of Women's Asian Cup
-
Brazil, India eye critical minerals deal as leaders meet
-
Political drama overshadows Berlin Film Festival finale
-
Battered by Gaza war, Israel's tech sector in recovery mode
-
Hurricanes rue injury to Super Rugby playmaker Cameron
-
Wallabies winger Jorgensen turns on magic for NSW Waratahs
-
Trump imposes 10% global tariff after stinging court rebuke
-
Floyd Mayweather to come out of retirement
-
Xbox boss Phil Spencer retires as Microsoft shakes up gaming unit
-
158 giant tortoises reintroduced to a Galapagos island
-
What's next after US Supreme Court tariff ruling?
-
Canada and USA to meet in ice hockey gold medal showdown at Winter Olympics
-
Jake Paul requires second jaw surgery after Joshua knockout
-
'Boldly headbang': Star Trek's Shatner, 94, unveils metal album
-
Marseille lose first Ligue 1 game of Beye era
-
Police battle opposition protesters in Albanian capital
-
Austria snowstorm leaves five dead, road and power chaos
-
Trump unleashes personal assault on 'disloyal' Supreme Court justices
-
'Not the end': Small US firms wary but hopeful on tariff upheaval
-
US freestyle skier Ferreira wins Olympic halfpipe gold
-
Svitolina edges Gauff to set up Pegula final in Dubai
-
'Proud' Alcaraz digs deep to topple Rublev and reach Qatar final
-
UK govt considers removing ex-prince Andrew from line of succession
-
New study probes why chronic pain lasts longer in women
-
Trump vows 10% global tariff after stinging court rebuke
-
Aston Martin in disarray as Leclerc tops F1 testing timesheets
-
Venus Williams accepts Indian Wells wild card
-
Anxious Venezuelans seek clarity on new amnesty law
-
Last-gasp Canada edge Finland to reach Olympic men's ice hockey final
-
Scotland captain Tuipulotu grateful for Wales boss Tandy's influence
-
Zelensky says no 'family day' in rare personal interview to AFP
-
Zelensky tells AFP that Ukraine is not losing the war
-
Sweden to play Switzerland in Olympic women's curling final
-
Counting the cost: Minnesota reels after anti-migrant 'occupation'
-
UK police probe Andrew's protection as royals reel from ex-prince's arrest
-
Doris says Ireland must pile pressure on England rising star Pollock
-
US military assets in the Middle East
-
Neymar hints at possible retirement after World Cup
-
Stocks rise after court ruling against US tariffs
-
Australia end dismal T20 World Cup by thrashing Oman
-
Olympics chief says Milan-Cortina has set new path for Games
-
Russian SVR spy agency took over Wagner 'influence' ops in Africa: report
-
Pegula fights back to sink Anisimova and reach Dubai final
-
Trump administration denounces 'terrorism' in France after activist's killing
-
Colombia's Medellin builds mega-prison inspired by El Salvador's CECOT
-
German broadcaster recalls correspondent over AI-generated images
MotoGP world champion Martin seeks Aprilia exit
MotoGP world champion Jorge Martin announced on Thursday his intention to leave Aprilia at the end of the season.
The Spaniard won the 2024 title on Ducati's satellite Pramac bike, but left the Italian manufacturer after being overlooked in favour of Marc Marquez for the factory ride.
With his title defence wrecked by injury, he has only managed to compete in Qatar so far this season, he believes a clause in his contract allows him to walk away at the end of the year.
The clause he refers to gives him the option to quit if, after round six at Le Mans, he was no longer in contention for the world championship.
After seven rounds, he has yet to register a point and is 196 behind leader Marc Marquez, ruling out any possibility of retaining the title.
Aprilia, according to reports, argue that because of his litany of injuries, this clause is invalid and the two-year contract stands.
Martin took to social media to state his case.
"At no point have I breached the contract.
"When we signed it, I agreed with Aprilia that if certain conditions were not met, I would reserve the right to decide my future for 2026. This was an essential condition for me to accept the contract offer at that time.
"Faced with the need to make a decision by a date set in the contract, I have chosen to exercise my right to be released for the 2026 season. I’ve always done so with respect, clarity, and the sole intention of taking control of my future as a professional athlete.
"Unfortunately, the circumstances caused by the crashes - while they do not alter the agreement - have influenced this phase. That's why I've always been open to dialogue with Aprilia about extending this evaluation period to a certain number of grand prix races starting from my return."
His statement concluded that he had always been honest with Aprilia.
"All I ask is for my wishes and the spirit of what we agreed upon to be respected," he wrote.
Martin has endured a calamitous 2025.
He was first injured during pre-season testing in Sepang and had to undergo surgery at the beginning of February.
He then suffered another crash which necessitated another operation on his left hand at the end of February, just before the opening round of the season in Thailand.
The 27-year-old finally made his first appearance of the season in Qatar only to slide out shortly after the halfway mark at Lusail suffering a hemopneumothorax -- broken ribs, and blood and air in the space around his lungs.
M.A.Vaz--PC