-
India target S.Africa top order, Abhishek to come good: bowling coach
-
Carrick praises Man Utd 'diversity' after Ratcliffe's immigrant rant
-
I never thought it would be hit, says 'Scream' creator 30 years later
-
AI summit statement delayed to 'maximise' signatories: India
-
Barcelona's Sagrada Familia basilica hits peak height
-
Milan sprints to second straight UAE stage win as Tiberi keeps lead
-
US GDP growth misses expectations as Trump blames shutdown
-
Benfica investigate video of fans' monkey gestures
-
French minister pledges tight security at rally for killed activist
-
Guardiola 'couldn't care less' about Arsenal stumble in title race
-
UK police search property as royals reel from Andrew's arrest
-
Germany's Merz to visit China next week
-
Kompany says Mourinho made 'huge mistake' in Vinicius racism row
-
X appeals EU's 120-mn-euro fine over digital content violations
-
Galthie recalls hulking locks Flament, Meafou for Italy
-
Turkey, Saudi sign major solar power deal
-
US Olympic freeskier Hess embraces 'loser' tag after Trump blast
-
European stocks rebound, oil prices ease after US-Iran volatility
-
'Alpha male' AI world shuts out women: computing prof Hall
-
New Zealand freestyle skier Ives in hard Olympic crash
-
New Zealand must adapt quickly to Sri Lanka wickets: Chapman
-
Thai activist's jail term for royal insult extended to 30 years
-
Families of Duterte's drug war victims eye Hague hearing with hope
-
India chases 'DeepSeek moment' with homegrown AI
-
UN touts panel for 'human control' of AI at global summit
-
Ukraine Paralympics team to boycott Opening Ceremony over Russian flag decision: statement
-
UK monarchy reels from Andrew's stunning arrest
-
Somaliland, where Muslims love Israel
-
Florida airport to be renamed after US President Donald Trump
-
Fans flock to Japan zoo to see viral baby monkey Punch
-
Stocks mixed, oil rises after Trump Iran threat
-
Outspoken Laos lawmaker's election exit sparks rare dissent
-
Kim Jong Un vows to boost living standards as he opens rare congress
-
Shepherd hat-trick to Samra ton: Five top T20 World Cup performances so far
-
Zimbabwe surprise as T20 World Cup Super Eights begin without Australia
-
Victorious Takaichi promises 'strong and prosperous' Japan
-
Ex-South Korea leader apologises for martial law crisis
-
Ex-S. Korea leader apologises for martial law crisis
-
Messi kicks off MLS season in key World Cup year
-
Teen burnout to Olympic gold: Alysa Liu 'looking to inspire others'
-
Cunningham stars as NBA-leading Pistons ease past Knicks
-
Andre Gomes joins MLS side Columbus Crew
-
Scottish inconsistency 'bugs everyone' says former international Beattie
-
England turn to Pollock for Six Nations boost against Ireland
-
Arsenal aim to banish title jitters in Spurs showdown
-
Scrutiny on Flick rises as Barca seek recovery
-
Leipzig host red-hot Dortmund with Champions League hopes slipping away
-
Nvidia nears deal for scaled-down investment in OpenAI: report
-
Japan inflation eases in welcome news for PM Takaichi
-
McIlroy shares Riviera clubhouse lead as Rai charges, Scheffler fades
McIlroy explains media silence after driver ban
Masters champion Rory McIlroy has explained his media silence during the PGA Championship admitting that he was unhappy at the way the news of his driver disqualification was leaked.
The Northern Irishman was forced to change his driver after an inspection by the US Golf Association found it was non-conforming.
World number one Scottie Scheffler later revealed that he too had been forced to change his driver for a similar reason but McIlroy was upset that only his issue had become public on the eve of the season's second major last month.
"I was a little pissed off because I knew that Scottie's driver had failed on Monday, but my name was the one that was leaked. It was supposed to stay confidential. Two members of the media were the ones that leaked it," said the world number two, who skipped media duties throughout the entire week.
"I didn't want to get up there and say something that I regretted...I'm trying to protect Scottie. I don't want to mention his name. I'm trying to protect TaylorMade. I'm trying to protect the USGA, PGA of America, myself.
"I just didn't want to get up there and say something that I regretted at the time," added McIlroy, speaking ahead of this week's RBC Canadian Open in Ontario.
McIlroy, who finished tied for 47th at three over for the tournament, also said that there were other factors behind his unwillingness to face reporters.
- 'A weird week' -
"The PGA was a bit of a weird week. I didn't play well. I didn't play well the first day, so I wanted to go practice, so that was fine. Second day we finished late. I wanted to go back and see (daughter) Poppy before she went to bed. The driver news broke. I didn't really want to speak on that," he said.
"Saturday I was supposed to tee off at 8:20 in the morning. I didn't tee off until almost 2:00 in the afternoon, another late finish, was just tired, wanted to go home.
"Then Sunday, I just wanted to get on the plane and go back to Florida. Yeah, look, and also the driver stuff...," he said
Unlike in some US sports, such as the NFL, golfers are not contractually obliged to speak to the media and McIlroy said that meant he was within his rights to have a week of silence.
"If we all wanted to, we could all bypass you guys and we...could go on social media and we could talk about our round and do it our own way," he said.
"We understand that that's not ideal for you guys and there's a bigger dynamic at play here, and I talk to you guys and I talk to the media a lot.
"We understand the benefit that comes from you being here and giving us the platform and everything else. So I understand that.
"But again, I've been beating this drum for a long time. If they want to make it mandatory, that's fine, but in our rules it says that it's not, and until the day that that's maybe written into the regulations, you're going to have guys skip from time to time, and that's well within our rights," he said.
O.Salvador--PC