-
Tudor is '100 percent' certain of saving Spurs from relegation
-
Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson
-
Stocks volatile after soft US growth data, court ruling against tariffs
-
Italy bring back Capuozzo for France Six Nations trip
-
From Malinin's collapse to Liu's triumph: Top Olympic figure skating moments
-
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'write own destiny' after title wobble
-
Ukraine Paralympics team to boycott opening ceremony over Russian flag decision
-
Wales captain Lake wants fans to bring 'noise' against Scotland
-
Skier Vonn's Italian hospital a hotbed of men, sister says
-
India target S.Africa top order, Abhishek to come good: bowling coach
-
Carrick praises Man Utd 'diversity' after Ratcliffe's immigrant rant
-
I never thought it would be hit, says 'Scream' creator 30 years later
-
AI summit statement delayed to 'maximise' signatories: India
-
Barcelona's Sagrada Familia basilica hits peak height
-
Milan sprints to second straight UAE stage win as Tiberi keeps lead
-
US GDP growth misses expectations as Trump blames shutdown
-
Benfica investigate video of fans' monkey gestures
-
French minister pledges tight security at rally for killed activist
-
Guardiola 'couldn't care less' about Arsenal stumble in title race
-
UK police search property as royals reel from Andrew's arrest
-
Germany's Merz to visit China next week
-
Kompany says Mourinho made 'huge mistake' in Vinicius racism row
-
X appeals EU's 120-mn-euro fine over digital content violations
-
Galthie recalls hulking locks Flament, Meafou for Italy
-
Turkey, Saudi sign major solar power deal
-
US Olympic freeskier Hess embraces 'loser' tag after Trump blast
-
European stocks rebound, oil prices ease after US-Iran volatility
-
'Alpha male' AI world shuts out women: computing prof Hall
-
New Zealand freestyle skier Ives in hard Olympic crash
-
New Zealand must adapt quickly to Sri Lanka wickets: Chapman
-
Thai activist's jail term for royal insult extended to 30 years
-
Families of Duterte's drug war victims eye Hague hearing with hope
-
India chases 'DeepSeek moment' with homegrown AI
-
UN touts panel for 'human control' of AI at global summit
-
Ukraine Paralympics team to boycott Opening Ceremony over Russian flag decision: statement
-
UK monarchy reels from Andrew's stunning arrest
-
Somaliland, where Muslims love Israel
-
Florida airport to be renamed after US President Donald Trump
-
Fans flock to Japan zoo to see viral baby monkey Punch
-
Stocks mixed, oil rises after Trump Iran threat
-
Outspoken Laos lawmaker's election exit sparks rare dissent
-
Kim Jong Un vows to boost living standards as he opens rare congress
-
Shepherd hat-trick to Samra ton: Five top T20 World Cup performances so far
-
Zimbabwe surprise as T20 World Cup Super Eights begin without Australia
-
Victorious Takaichi promises 'strong and prosperous' Japan
-
Ex-South Korea leader apologises for martial law crisis
-
Ex-S. Korea leader apologises for martial law crisis
-
Messi kicks off MLS season in key World Cup year
-
Teen burnout to Olympic gold: Alysa Liu 'looking to inspire others'
-
Cunningham stars as NBA-leading Pistons ease past Knicks
French minister pledges tight security at rally for killed activist
French police will be out in force at a weekend rally for a slain far-right activist, the interior minister said Friday, as the country seeks to contain anger over the fatal beating blamed on the hard left.
Quentin Deranque, 23, died from head injuries after being attacked by at least six people on the sidelines of a protest against a politician from the hard-left France Unbowed (LFI) party in the southeastern city of Lyon last week.
His death has fomented tensions ahead of municipal elections next month and presidential polls next year, in which the far-right National Rally (RN) party is seen as having its best chance yet at winning the top job.
President Emmanuel Macron -- who is serving his last year in office -- has said there was no place in France "for movements that adopt and legitimise violence", and urged the far right and hard left to clean up their act.
Deranque's supporters have called for a march in his memory on Saturday in Lyon.
The leftist mayor of Lyon asked the state to ban it, but Interior Minister Laurent Nunez declined to do so.
Nunez said he had planned an "extremely large police deployment" with reinforcements from outside the city to ensure security.
The rally is expected to be attended by 2,000 to 3,000 people, and likely to see counter-protesters from the hard left.
"I can only ban a demonstration when there are major risks of public disorder and I am not in a position to contain them," he told the RTL broadcaster.
"My role is to strike a balance between maintaining public order and freedom of expression."
- 'Fascist demonstration' -
Jordan Bardella, the president of anti-immigration RN, has urged party members not to go.
"We ask you, except in very specific and strictly supervised local situations ... not to attend these gatherings nor to associate the National Rally with them," he wrote in a message sent to party officials and seen by AFP.
LFI coordinator Manuel Bompard backed the mayor's call for a ban, warning on X it would be a "fascist demonstration" that "over 1,000 neo-Nazis from all over Europe" were expected to attend.
Two people, aged 20 and 25, have been charged with intentional homicide in relation to Deranque's fatal beating, according to the Lyon prosecutor and their lawyers.
A third suspect has been charged with complicity in the killing.
Jacques-Elie Favrot, a 25-year-old former parliamentary assistant to LFI lawmaker Raphael Arnault, has admitted to having been present at the scene but denied delivering the blows that killed Deranque, his attorney said.
Favrot said "it was absolutely not an ambush, but a clash with a group of far-right activists", he added.
- 'Charlie Kirk moment' -
Italy's hard-right Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni on Wednesday said the killing of Deranque was "a wound for all of Europe".
Reacting to her comments, Macron said everyone should "stay in their own lane", but Meloni later said that Macron had misinterpreted her comments.
Opinion polls put the far right in the lead for the French presidency in 2027, when Macron will have to step down after the maximum two consecutive terms in office.
In snap parliamentary polls in 2024, Macron's supporters and the left, including the hard left, had allied against the far right.
After the Lyon killing, several voices on the more moderate left have rejected another such alliance with LFI.
Socialist party official Pierre Jouvet on Friday however said its politicians could in rare cases ally with LFI candidates in the second round of municipal elections next month if they reject "political violence".
Former French prime minister Dominique de Villepin late Thursday warned against what he described as France's "Charlie Kirk moment", referring to an ultraconservative activist who was shot and killed in September in the United States.
"It's a moment aimed at delegitimising part of the political spectrum and casting the triumphant far right as a victim," the moderate right-winger wrote on X.
"Let's stay vigilant. Let's not concede ground to the far right."
burs-ah/rmb
Ferreira--PC