-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
IOC lifts Olympic ban on Belarus but Russia 'still suspended'
The IOC on Thursday lifted its ban on Belarusian athletes competing in the Olympics, although restrictions on Russian athletes remain in place.
Competitors from Russia and their allies Belarus had been banned from international competition following Russia's 2022 invasion of Ukraine, although some were permitted to compete as neutrals.
Russians will still only be able to compete in Olympic competition under the neutral banner, on an individual basis, and only if they have not actively supported the conflict.
The IOC executive board released a statement saying that it "no longer recommends any restrictions on the participation of Belarusian athletes, including teams".
"The IOC reaffirms that athletes' participation in international competition should not be limited by the actions of their governments, including involvement in a war or conflict," it said.
This new policy should allow for a Belarusian delegation to compete at the Los Angeles Summer Olympics in 2028, when they will be present at the opening ceremony and included in the medals table.
The IOC said that the timing of the statement recognised that the qualification period for the 2028 Games begins this (northern hemisphere) summer.
The lifting of IOC "restrictions" opens the door to independent federations now formally implementing it.
Some, such as judo and swimming, have already lifted restrictions but Belarus are still unlikely to be able to compete as a team in track and field after World Athletics said in response to the IOC announcement that it was keeping its ban in place.
"As a consequence of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, World Athletics sanctions implemented in March 2022 excluding Belarusian and Russian athletes, officials and supporting personnel from competition remain in place," said a World Athletics spokesperson.
"Our council has made a clear decision that when there is tangible movement towards peace negotiations it can begin to review its decisions. We all hope this will be soon."
- 'In good standing' -
At the last two Olympics in Paris 2024 and the Milan-Cortina Winter Games in February, Belarusians competed alongside Russians as "Individual Neutral Athletes", stripped of their national colours and in small numbers -- there were 17 in Paris and seven in Italy.
And for the moment that will remain the case for Russian athletes wanting to take part in Los Angeles.
"The situation relating to the Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) is different from that relating to the National Olympic Committee (NOC) of Belarus," said the IOC in their statement.
The ROC has been suspended since autumn 2023 for having placed the sports organisations of four occupied Ukrainian regions under its authority.
However, the IOC also said that fresh concerns have recently arisen regarding the Russian anti-doping system which was first exposed in late 2015 following the Sochi Winter Games the year before.
"The difference is the Belarusian National Olympic Committee was never suspended. And they've always been in good standing," IOC president Kirsty Coventry told reporters.
"The most recent information which led to the World Anti-Doping Agency looking into a potential doping allegation, we do not know how long that will take."
The Zimbabwean former Olympic gold medal-winning swimmer added: "But in 2016 I was still an athlete and it is a huge importance for me to do whatever we can to ensure that the field of play, whenever any athletes are coming back to competition, is the cleanest and fairest field of play that we can provide.
"The Russian Olympic Committee is still suspended."
P.Mira--PC