-
Galthie recalls hulking locks Flament, Meafou for Italy
-
Turkey, Saudi sign major solar power deal
-
US Olympic freeskier Hess embraces 'loser' tag after Trump blast
-
European stocks rebound, oil prices ease after US-Iran volatility
-
'Alpha male' AI world shuts out women: computing prof Hall
-
New Zealand freestyle skier Ives in hard Olympic crash
-
New Zealand must adapt quickly to Sri Lanka wickets: Chapman
-
Thai activist's jail term for royal insult extended to 30 years
-
Families of Duterte's drug war victims eye Hague hearing with hope
-
India chases 'DeepSeek moment' with homegrown AI
-
UN touts panel for 'human control' of AI at global summit
-
Ukraine Paralympics team to boycott Opening Ceremony over Russian flag decision: statement
-
UK monarchy reels from Andrew's stunning arrest
-
Somaliland, where Muslims love Israel
-
Florida airport to be renamed after US President Donald Trump
-
Fans flock to Japan zoo to see viral baby monkey Punch
-
Stocks mixed, oil rises after Trump Iran threat
-
Outspoken Laos lawmaker's election exit sparks rare dissent
-
Kim Jong Un vows to boost living standards as he opens rare congress
-
Shepherd hat-trick to Samra ton: Five top T20 World Cup performances so far
-
Zimbabwe surprise as T20 World Cup Super Eights begin without Australia
-
Victorious Takaichi promises 'strong and prosperous' Japan
-
Ex-South Korea leader apologises for martial law crisis
-
Ex-S. Korea leader apologises for martial law crisis
-
Messi kicks off MLS season in key World Cup year
-
Teen burnout to Olympic gold: Alysa Liu 'looking to inspire others'
-
Cunningham stars as NBA-leading Pistons ease past Knicks
-
Andre Gomes joins MLS side Columbus Crew
-
Scottish inconsistency 'bugs everyone' says former international Beattie
-
England turn to Pollock for Six Nations boost against Ireland
-
Arsenal aim to banish title jitters in Spurs showdown
-
Scrutiny on Flick rises as Barca seek recovery
-
Leipzig host red-hot Dortmund with Champions League hopes slipping away
-
Nvidia nears deal for scaled-down investment in OpenAI: report
-
Japan inflation eases in welcome news for PM Takaichi
-
McIlroy shares Riviera clubhouse lead as Rai charges, Scheffler fades
-
Philippines' Duterte earned global infamy, praise at home
-
Stocks drop, oil rises after Trump Iran threat
-
As European heads roll from Epstein links, US fallout muted
-
Families of Duterte's drug war victims eye Hague hearing hopefully
-
Russian decision is a betrayal: Ukrainian Paralympics chief
-
Venezuela parliament unanimously approves amnesty law
-
Martinez missing as Inter limp to Lecce after Bodo/Glimt humbling
-
India chases 'DeepSeek moment' with homegrown AI models
-
World leaders to declare shared stance on AI at India summit
-
'Everything was removed': Gambians share pain with FGM ban in balance
-
Kim Jong Un opens rare party congress in North Korea
-
Ex-Philippine leader Duterte faces pre-trial ICC hearing
-
Japanese star Sakamoto 'frustrated' at missing Olympic skating gold
-
Japan inflation eases in welcome news for Takaichi
Bengaluru offer cash help after deadly India cricket stampede
Royal Challengers Bengaluru said Thursday they stood "united" with fans as the Indian Premier League champions announced financial aid to families of those crushed to death during their title celebrations.
Hundreds of thousands had packed the streets in the southern Indian city of Bengaluru on Wednesday to welcome home their hero Virat Kohli and his RCB team-mates after they beat Punjab Kings in a thrilling IPL final.
But the euphoria of the vast crowds ended in disaster when 11 fans died in a stampede near the city's M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, where the players were parading the trophy.
Most of the dead were young fans aged between 14 and 29 who had gone out just to catch a glimpse of their heroes.
Dozens of abandoned shoes and flip-flops littered the site in the aftermath.
RCB offered financial aid of $11,655 to each family of those killed.
Indian media have widely reported the team earned $2.3 million in prize money alone for taking the title on Wednesday.
"Our fans will always remain at the heart of everything that we do," RCB said. "We remain united in grief."
Kohli, who top-scored in the final, said he was "at a loss for words" after celebrations of a dream IPL crown turned to tragedy.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi called the accident "absolutely heartrending".
- 'Stamped on me' -
Police used mild force to disperse people outside the stadium, an eyewitness told AFP, but the crowd was "extremely difficult" to control.
Lakshminarayan, who lost his 14-year-old granddaughter in the crush, said his family carried the child in a motor rickshaw to hospital.
He said celebrations should have been delayed to prepare for the widely expected mass crowds.
"There was no need to conduct celebrations the very next day, they should have postponed it to a week and organised it a better way," he said.
"You should take all precautionary measures, they should have police protection and follow the queue system."
One of the people injured described to AFP how a "huge crowd" had crushed her.
"They stamped on me," said the woman, who did not give her name, from a wheelchair.
"I was not able to breathe. I fell unconscious."
- 'Died in an RCB shirt' -
Street food vendor Manoj Kumar mourned the death of his 18-year-old son.
"I wanted him to go to college," Kumar told the Indian Express newspaper.
"I brought him up with a lot of care. Now he is gone."
A grieving mother outside a city mortuary said her 22-year-old engineering student son had also died.
"He was crazy about RCB," she was quoted as saying by the Indian Express.
"He died in an RCB shirt. They danced when RCB won and now he is gone. Can RCB give him back to us?"
Authorities had already called off RCB's proposed open-top bus victory parade through the streets after anticipating vast crowds.
But organisers pressed ahead with the welcome ceremony and celebrations inside the stadium.
RCB's social media account posted a video of cheering crowds lining the streets as the players waved back from their team bus on their way to the stadium.
The team said they cut short the celebrations "immediately upon being made aware of the situation".
Karnataka state chief minister Siddaramaiah said that the stadium had a capacity of "only 35,000 people, but 200,000-300,000 people came".
R.Veloso--PC