-
Facing US warnings, Iran defends right to nuclear enrichment
-
Ex-South Korea leader Yoon gets life in prison for insurrection
-
OpenAI's Altman says at India summit regulation 'urgently' needed
-
British couple held in Iran sentenced to 10 years
-
West Indies ease past Italy to tune up for T20 Super Eights
-
At least 16 killed after building collapses in Pakistan following blast
-
Summit photo op fails to unite AI startup rivals
-
OpenAI's Altman says world 'urgently' needs AI regulation
-
Horror comics boom in our age of anxiety
-
Turkey fires up coal pollution even as it hosts COP31
-
London fashion week opens with tribute to one of its greats
-
Ex-S.Korea leader Yoon gets life in prison for insurrection
-
Pea soup, veggie mash contest warms up Dutch winter
-
South Korea's Yoon: from rising star to jailed ex-president
-
Private companies seek to import fuel amid Cuban energy crisis
-
India search for 'perfect game' as South Africa loom in Super Eights
-
India's Modi calls for inclusive tech at AI summit
-
Airbus planning record commercial aircraft deliveries in 2026
-
Elections under fire: Colombia endures deadliest campaign in decades
-
Traore backs 'hungry' Italy against France in Six Nations
-
All-rounder Curran brings stuttering England to life at the death
-
South Korea court weighs death sentence for ex-president Yoon
-
Tech chiefs address India AI summit as Gates cancels
-
Australia rejects foreign threats after claim of China interference
-
Somali militias terrorise locals after driving out Al-Qaeda
-
Peru picks Balcazar as interim president, eighth leader in a decade
-
Australian defence firm helps Ukraine zap Russian drones
-
General strike to protest Milei's labor reforms starts in Argentina
-
Cuban opposition figure Ferrer supports Maduro-like US operation for Cuba
-
High-stakes showdown in Nepal's post-uprising polls
-
Asian markets rally after Wall St tech-led gains
-
After Greenland, Arctic island Svalbard wary of great powers
-
Veteran Slipper set for new Super Rugby landmark
-
Sudan's historic acacia forest devastated as war fuels logging
-
Deadly Indonesia floods force a deforestation reckoning
-
Australia vow to entertain in bid for Women's Asian Cup glory
-
Afghan barbers under pressure as morality police take on short beards
-
Jail, disgrace and death: the dark fates of South Korean leaders
-
S. Korea court weighs death sentence for ex-president Yoon
-
MotoGP dumps Phillip Island for Adelaide street circuit
-
Trump kicks off his 'Board of Peace,' with eye on Gaza and beyond
-
Walmart results expected to highlight big plans for AI
-
Australia Olympic TV reporter apologises after slurring words
-
USA and Canada on course to meet for Olympic men's ice hockey gold
-
Bodo/Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
-
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
-
McIlroy aims to eliminate 'big numbers' in pursuit of first Riviera title
-
PM Modi, top tech bosses to address India AI summit
-
Bad Bunny to star in movie about Puerto Rico
-
Arsenal blow two-goal lead in damaging Wolves draw
EU approves MotoGP takeover by F1 owner Liberty Media
The acquisition of MotoGP by Liberty Media, the American group that owns Formula One, received the green light from The European Commission on Monday.
Liberty and the Commission both released statements saying the deal had received "unconditional approval".
"The deal is now expected to close no later than July 3, 2025, opening the door to a new era for the sport," said MotoGP on its web site.
Liberty had agreed to buy the motor-cycle grand prix competition from Dorna Sports in April 2024, but the European Commission opened an investigation to determine whether the merger violated competition rules.
Colorado-based Liberty said it would acquire 84 percent of MotoGP with Dorna, a Madrid-based company, retaining 16 per cent in a deal that valued the company at 4.3 billion euros ($5 billion).
The Commission had been concerned "that the transaction could lead to an increase in licensing prices for broadcasting rights to motorsports events."
On Monday the Commission said it was satisfied that, in the European national markets it investigated, "the companies are not close competitors for the licensing of broadcasting rights for sports content."
The Commission also looked at Liberty Media's relationship with parent company Liberty Global, a leading cable operator in several European countries.
The statement said there was "insufficient evidence that Mr. John Malone, Liberty Media's largest shareholder, could exercise decisive influence over Liberty Global."
"We are thrilled," said Derek Chang, Liberty Media President and Chief Executive Officer, in the company statement.
"MotoGP is a highly attractive premium sports asset with incredible racing, a passionate fanbase and a strong cash flow profile. We believe the sport and brand have significant growth potential."
Since Liberty took control of F1 in 2017, it has implemented an expansion strategy, particularly in the United States, making spectacle its main focus.
With the help of the long-running Netflix series "Drive to Survive," the group has attracted a younger, more female audience.
"MotoGP is one of the most thrilling sports on earth, and we look forward to accelerating the sport's growth and expanding its reach to even more fans around the world," said Dorna chief executive Carmelo Ezpeleta in the Liberty statement.
As part of the deal Ezpeleta, CEO since 1998, and his team will continue to run MotoGP.
"Liberty is the best possible partner for our sport and the entire MotoGP community, and we are excited to create even greater value for our fans, commercial partners and everyone competing," he said.
M.Carneiro--PC