-
US lingerie magnate says was 'conned' by Epstein
-
Marner fires Canada into Olympic ice hockey semis, as Finland survive
-
Israel conducting 'gradual de facto annexation' of W.Bank: UN official
-
Alcaraz, Sinner cruise into Qatar Open quarter-finals
-
Mavs confirm Irving will miss rest of NBA season
-
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over scrapped climate rule
-
Major US naval, air buildup sets stage for potential Iran war
-
White House tells Iran to do deal as Trump hints at US strikes
-
Gordon scores four as Newcastle hit Qarabag for six
-
French far-right leader accuses Macron, allies of strengthening hard-left after activist killed
-
Putin says Russia 'always' stands by Cuba, slams US sanctions
-
England's Joe Heyes says Princess Anne mistook him for Joe Marler
-
Marner sends Canada through to Olympic men's ice hockey semis
-
Seattle Seahawks put up for sale after Super Bowl win
-
U2 slam ICE, Putin in new 'Days of Ash' EP
-
Berlin Film Festival rejects accusation of censorship on Gaza
-
Sinner sees off Popyrin to reach Doha quarter-finals
-
Taylor Swift bags best-selling artist of 2025 award: industry body
-
Tiberi takes UAE Tour lead from Evenepoel
-
Paris prosecutor calls on Epstein victims in France to testify
-
India tune up for Super Eights with hard-fought win over the Dutch
-
Griffin warns Wales to beware Bath team-mate Russell in Scotland clash
-
Desperate search for nine skiers missing in California avalanche
-
Six highs and lows from the 2026 Winter Olympics alpine skiing
-
Peru set for eighth president in a decade
-
First woman envoy for Palestine dies in France: family
-
Laser-etched glass can store data for millennia, Microsoft says
-
Intense US naval, air power buildup sets stage for potential Iran war
-
Slovakia beat Germany to reach Olympic men's ice hockey semis
-
Greece to claim Nazi atrocity photos found on Ebay: minister
-
US energy chief says IEA must 'drop' focus on climate change
-
Shiffrin remembers deceased dad after Olympic slalom gold
-
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over dismantled climate rule
-
Curling's air of gentility melts amid cheating row
-
Dube lifts India to 193-6 against Dutch at T20 World Cup
-
Japan's Takaichi formally reappointed as PM following election victory
-
Polish bishop goes on trial for paedophilia cover-up
-
Mikaela Shiffrin, skiing's greatest back on top of the world
-
Denmark's King Frederik X arrives in Greenland in show of support
-
Gabon cuts off Facebook, TikTok amid teachers' strike
-
Ukraine's officials to boycott Paralympics over Russian flag decision
-
Notorious Courbet painting goes on show in Vienna
-
In reversal, US agrees to review new Moderna flu shot
-
Glencore still open to 'mega-miner' deal after Rio collapse
-
Shiffrin finally strikes Olympic gold, China win first title
-
Russian era ends at abandoned launchpad in South American jungle
-
'Utterly absurd': Kosovo ex-president denies war crimes as trial closes
-
Turkey to give cash for soap TV series that boost national image
-
Man missing in floods as France hit by record 35 days of rain
-
Our goal? Win World Cup, says Shadab as Pakistan into Super Eights
Alcaraz survives, Sabalenka cruises on Wimbledon's hottest opening day
Carlos Alcaraz survived a major scare in his Wimbledon opener on Monday while Aryna Sabalenka kept her cool to progress on the hottest opening day in the tournament's history.
Temperatures at the All England Club on Monday topped 32 degrees Celsius (89.6 Fahrenheit), surpassing the previous record for the start of the tournament of 29.3 Celsius set in 2001.
Alcaraz dug dip for a 7-5, 6-7 (5/7), 7-5, 2-6, 6-1 win over 38-year-old Fabio Fognini in a gruelling clash lasting four hours and 37 minutes on Centre Court.
It was first time since Roger Federer narrowly beat Alejandro Falla in 2010 that a defending champion had been taken to a fifth set in the Wimbledon first round.
Alcaraz shrugged off an inconsistent display including 62 unforced errors as the world number two refused to wilt in the heat.
"I don't know why it is probably Fabio's last Wimbledon because the level he has shown shows he can still play for three or four more years," said the Spaniard.
"Playing on Centre Court for the first match of any tournament is never easy. Wimbledon is special and different. I just tried to play my best but I would say that I could play better."
During the match the 22-year-old rushed to help a spectator who had collapsed in the stands, handing over a bottle of water as medics came to the woman's aid.
Alcaraz, who has never lost in a Grand Slam first round in 18 appearances, faces British qualifier Oliver Tarvet in the second round.
The five-time Grand Slam champion is bidding to become the fifth man in the Open Era to win at least three consecutive Wimbledon titles after Bjorn Borg, Pete Sampras, Roger Federer and seven-time champion Novak Djokovic.
With players and fans searching for shade from the London heatwave, former England captain David Beckham watched the action from the royal box, alongside ex-England manager Gareth Southgate.
Top women's seed Sabalenka used ice packs to beat the heat during her 6-1, 7-5 victory over Canadian qualifier Carson Branstine on Court One.
The 27-year-old Belarusian is a three-time Grand Slam champion but suffered agonising three-set defeats in this year's Australian Open and French Open finals.
The world number one has never been beyond the Wimbledon semi-finals and missed last year's tournament with a shoulder injury.
"I felt really great. Super grateful to be healthy and ready to compete and to be through the first round," said Sabalenka, who next faces Czech world number 48 Marie Bouzkova.
- Mercury soars -
Two-time Wimbledon finalist Ons Jabeur broke down in tears before retiring from her first-round match against Viktoriya Tomova for an unspecified reason.
Tunisia's Jabeur was trailing 7-6 (7/5), 2-0 when she brought a premature end to her clash with the Bulgarian world number 111.
Former US Open champion Daniil Medvedev, a Wimbledon semi-finalist for the past two years, suffered a meltdown against France's Benjamin Bonzi.
Bonzi won 7-6 (7/2), 3-6, 7-6 (7/3), 6-2 in three hours and seven minutes, with the fuming Russian smashing his racquet against his chair at the end of the match.
Elsewhere, Danish eighth seed Holger Rune threw away a two-set lead to lose to Chilean world number 143 Nicolas Jarry while former finalist Matteo Berrettini crashed out and Stefanos Tsitsipas retired with an injury.
Former French Open winner Jelena Ostapenko was beaten 7-5, 2-6, 6-2 by Britain's Sonay Kartal.
Australian Open champion Madison Keys came from a set down to beat Elena-Gabriela Ruse 6-7, (4/7), 7-5, 7-5 but ninth seed Paula Badosa lost in three sets to Britain's Katie Boulter.
Former US Open champion Emma Raducanu defeated fellow Briton Mimi Xu 6-3, 6-3 to book a second-round date with 2023 Wimbledon winner Marketa Vondrousova.
The matches between third seed Alexander Zverev and Arthur Rinderknech and fifth seed Taylor Fritz and Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard were suspended due to Wimbledon's curfew of 2300 local time.
Wimbledon has a heat rule to safeguard the health of the players.
It allows a 10-minute break to be taken between the second and third sets for women's matches and between the third and fourth sets for men's matches, when the heat stress index is at or above 30.1 degrees Celsius.
G.Teles--PC