-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
Anglo American nixes BHP request to extend takeover talks
Mining giant Anglo American rejected a request by Australian rival BHP to extend talks on a $49 billion takeover offer beyond a looming Wednesday deadline, possibly ending a bid to create a copper titan.
Anglo American rejected a third offer from BHP last week, worth £38.6 billion, but agreed to keep talks alive for seven more days.
With the 1600 GMT deadline looming for BHP to make a firm offer or abandon the bid, Anglo American said its board unanimously concluded that there was "no basis for a further extension".
The British group said its rival had not addressed "fundamental concerns" over the bid structure and value.
The offer "includes the same highly complex and unattractive structure", Anglo American said.
A core part of BHP's plan is splitting off Anglo's platinum holdings in South Africa, a politically sensitive move that stirred government opposition ahead of the country's general election Wednesday.
South Africa's state investment vehicle wields significant influence over the deal as one of the largest shareholders in Anglo American.
With the deadline approaching, BHP -- which is listed in London and Sydney -- made a last-ditch attempt Wednesday to mollify these concerns and keep its bid alive.
"BHP believes that its proposal will contribute to South Africa and allow the benefits of South African mining to be shared with more South African stakeholders," the company had said in a statement to the Australian stock exchange.
"BHP believes a further extension of the deadline is required to allow for further engagement on its proposal," it added.
This included a commitment to maintain staffing levels at Anglo's Johannesburg office for "at least three years", continuing Anglo's charitable commitments in the country as well as a creating "Mining Centre of Excellence" to support research and development.
- Crucial copper -
Any deal between two of the world's largest resources companies would fundamentally reshape the sector, with far-reaching consequences for commodities markets and the global energy transition.
BHP's interest is largely stoked by its hunger to secure a reliable copper supply.
Anglo American's South American copper holdings include four of the largest copper mines in the world.
An electrical conductor used in wiring, the metal is seen as a bedrock of emerging clean-energy industries -- a crucial component in the manufacture of solar panels, electric vehicles and rechargeable batteries.
Copper prices have increased about 400 percent in the past quarter of a century, and broke US$10,000 a tonne in April for the first time in two years.
The boom has already prompted a wave of investment, with BHP snapping up Australian copper producer OZ Minerals for more than US$6 billion last year.
V.Fontes--PC