-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
-
Spurs eyeing move for Man City's Savinho and Marmoush - reports
-
Alvarez 'focused' says new Atletico team-mate Romero
-
Springboks captain Kolisi to miss first All Blacks Test
-
West Ham warn fans about 'offensive' Solomon chant
-
Japan to launch probe for Mars moons in October: space agency
Couche-Tard executives in Japan to push 7-Eleven deal
Executives from Canada's Alimentation Couche-Tard are in Japan in a bid to overcome resistance to their $47-billion takeover of 7-Eleven's parent but are being given the cold shoulder, according to interviews published Thursday.
Seven & i Holdings last month rejected a US$40-billion takeover bid -- representing the biggest foreign takeover of a Japanese firm -- but the Canadian side has since sweetened the offer by around 20 percent.
"We have invited (Seven & i management), we have tried to organise a meeting, but it didn't work, but it will eventually," ACT chairman and founder Alain Bouchard told Bloomberg News in Japan.
"We also want to gain a better understanding of the Japanese culture, but mainly now the Japanese concerns" around the deal, he said in the interview.
"We want to obviously introduce ourselves because people don't know us."
Bouchard also told the Nikkei daily that they had asked to meet Seven & i president Ryuichi Isaka and his team but that the request "was declined".
The Financial Times quoted a source close to Seven & i saying that while a meeting had yet to be agreed, the two groups had been discussing the terms under which one might take place.
A cherished one-stop shop for everything from rice balls to concert tickets to photocopies, 7-Eleven "konbini" are a ubiquitous sight in Japan.
It is the world's biggest convenience store chain with more than 85,000 outlets worldwide, a quarter of them in Japan.
But Bouchard, 75, said that Japan had nothing to fear.
"We don't change the model. We adapt. We take the best practices from the stores we acquire, or we combine, and we take our best practices together," Bouchard told Bloomberg.
"We'll keep the people that run this company here, and they will hopefully share our culture, and we will share their culture, and we will be just strong," he said.
He added that no Canadian executive would be parachuted into Japan to take over the local operations.
ACT chief executive Alex Miller also told the Nikkei that the firm wanted to buy the whole of Seven & i after the Japanese firm last week said it was carving off its non-core operations into a separate entity.
"We don't want to buy a part of the company," Miller said.
And Brian Hannasch, former CEO and now special adviser, told the FT: "Our offer is a certainty, right, it's cash, versus a hope that (Seven & i) can continue to execute on a plan that's not delivered value over the last years"
Seven & i minority shareholder Artisan Partners this week urged the firm to accept ACT's offer, which the Japanese company said it is studying.
A.Seabra--PC