-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
-
Spurs eyeing move for Man City's Savinho and Marmoush - reports
-
Alvarez 'focused' says new Atletico team-mate Romero
-
Springboks captain Kolisi to miss first All Blacks Test
-
West Ham warn fans about 'offensive' Solomon chant
-
Japan to launch probe for Mars moons in October: space agency
-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
-
From beach to Bulls: relaxed Tsunoda savours rare F1 drive
-
BYDFi Joins Coinfest Asia 2026, Connecting with Institutions, Builders and Traders in Bali
-
Prince Harry: key dates in life of returning UK royal
-
Max Verstappen: Natural-born winner
-
North Korea launches missiles, Seoul says, after Trump floats Kim meet
-
Van Dijk urges Liverpool to make amends for 'unacceptable' season
-
Oil jumps on Iran war tensions, offsetting bond yield fears
-
All Blacks replace Tuipulotu with Holland for Springboks Test
-
Germany identifies far-right suspect in deadly 1970 antisemitic attack
-
Rain delays start of second day's play in England-Pakistan opener
-
PrimeXBT Expands Swap-Free Trading to PXTrader 2.0
-
Russian strikes kill 16 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Record number of locations in France top 40C over summer: AFP analysis
-
'It is tough': Indonesia battles wildfires, bracing for worse to come
-
Trump pledges 'economic warfare' on Iran, prompting Tehran derision
-
Seoul detects North Korean missile launches after Trump says to meet Kim
-
'Girl with a Pearl Earring' in Japan, perhaps for the last time
-
Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses
-
Russian strikes kill 13 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Asian stocks rally as US Treasury steps in to ease bond fears
Boeing reports $6.2 bn loss as it awaits vote on end to strike
Boeing reported a whopping $6.2 billion quarterly loss Wednesday as a nearly six-week labor strike weighed on its commercial plane division and costly problems dragged down its defense and space business.
The embattled aviation giant, which has been under scrutiny from regulators following safety problems, will learn later in the day if Seattle-area employees will accept the company's latest proposal, ending the bruising work stoppage.
The quarterly results had been telegraphed to the market on October 11, when newly installed Chief Executive Kelly Ortberg announced the company was cutting 10 percent of its workforce.
In a message to employees, Ortberg said a turnaround would require a "fundamental culture change" as well as steps to stabilize finances, improve operations and devise a future vision for Boeing that allows it to once again be an iconic company and aerospace leader.
The most pressing issue is ending the nearly six-week strike, Ortberg said.
Some 33,000 workers in the Seattle area are scheduled to vote throughout Wednesday on Boeing's latest proposal, which includes a 35 percent pay rise over four years.
The vote is expected to be "tight," the head of the Seattle union said Tuesday.
To strengthen liquidity, Boeing has announced plans to raise up to $15 billion in securities. Analysts have also said the company could divest some assets to raise cash.
Ortberg told CNBC the company had embarked on a portfolio review that could lead to streamlining some assets.
"I would rather err on the side of doing less and better than doing more and not doing it well," Ortberg said in his first media interview as CEO.
He said the job cuts were unrelated to the strike, but necessary because the company was "overstaffed” for its business mission in the coming period.
Even before the strike, Boeing had slowed production in its commercial plane division to ensure greater attention to safety protocols after a 737 MAX flown by Alaska Airlines was forced to make an emergency landing in January when a fuselage panel blew out mid-flight.
The near-catastrophe -- coming after two fatal 737 MAX crashes in 2018 and 2019 that claimed 346 lives -- put Boeing under greater regulatory oversight.
- Long road ahead -
The company's latest results were dented by $3 billion in one-time cost hits to its 777X and 767 programs, as well as the drag from the ongoing strike by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM).
In its defense and space business, Boeing's results were battered by $2 billion in costs for a number of programs, including the KC-46A Pegasus Air Force refueling aircraft that has featured as a problem in prior quarters.
Boeing reported a one percent decline in revenues to $17.8 billion.
In the memo, Ortberg called for better management of defense, where the company has seen profits repeatedly hit in recent years due to cost overruns on fixed-price contracts.
In September, Boeing defense chief Ted Colbert left the company.
Other key priorities include maintaining Boeing's investment-grade credit rating and, further down the road, beginning to engineer a new airplane.
"But we have a lot of work to do before then," he added.
In the CNBC interview, Ortberg said the company's liquidity position was adequate regardless of the strike vote outcome.
But he told CNBC the vote was "important," adding, "We've worked really hard to find that overlap, where we've got a deal that the employees can feel good about and the company can be successful going forward."
Although he didn't indicate plans to scale back Boeing's space program, Ortberg pointed to commercial planes and defense as "core" products that "will always stay with the Boeing company."
Analyst Peter McNally of Third Bridge predicted Boeing's recovery would not be swift.
"Even if the strike is settled today, Third Bridge experts believe the impact on Boeing will carry through beyond the fourth quarter," McNally wrote, saying it will take a week to get workers back in place and "at least" another three weeks to return to normal productivity.
Between that and other problems with operations and the Boeing supply chain, "Third Bridge experts see an underwhelming recovery in Boeing deliveries for years to come."
Shares fell 1.0 percent in morning trading.
P.L.Madureira--PC