-
WADA pledges vigilance on Russian athletes ahead of 2028 Olympics
-
Lee, Baena guide Atletico to opening Liga win over Malaga
-
NASA satellite rescue mission fails
-
Ecuador intel chief, five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
-
Cobolli halts Jodar to reach Cincinnati quarter-finals
-
Robinson and Tongue share match ball after dismissing Pakistan
-
As election looms, Netanyahu puts Turkey in Israel's crosshairs
-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
Basel backs splashing the cash to host Eurovision
Basel voters on Sunday overwhelmingly approved the city putting up nearly $40 million towards hosting next year's Eurovision Song Contest, meaning the giant TV extravaganza will go ahead with its customary full-on razzmatazz.
Final results showed 66.6 percent of voters in the Swiss city backed putting taxpayers' cash into staging Eurovision 2025. The turnout was 57 percent.
"I am delighted for Basel and for the project team, which has already invested a lot of passion in organising the Eurovision Song Contest 2025," Basel-City regional president Conradin Cramer told AFP.
"For Basel, the 'Yes' means that we will be able to welcome visitors from Switzerland and Europe with open arms and offer them a wonderful programme."
Swiss singer Nemo won Eurovision 2024 with "The Code", giving Switzerland the right to host next year's 69th edition.
Basel, on the northern border with France and Germany, was selected to stage the kitsch event, which comes with a guaranteed vast international TV audience.
However, the small, ultra-conservative, Christian fundamentalist Federal Democratic Union of Switzerland (EDU) party garnered enough signatures to secure a referendum on whether the 34.96 million Swiss francs ($39.5 million) approved by regional authorities for the show should be granted.
EDU board member Philippe Karoubi said the competition had become "completely instrumentalised to promote ideologies" like "wokeism" and trans rights.
He slammed the contest for staging what he called "blasphemous performances", some verging on "the occult".
Eurovision is a non-profit event, mostly financed by weighted contributions from participating public service broadcasters.
However, Eurovision says that "given the benefits that will flow" to host cities, they must also make a contribution.
Based on the last two contests in Liverpool and Malmo, Basel hopes to make about 60 million Swiss francs from the event, in particular in tourism and hospitality.
The contest will be staged at the St. Jakobshalle indoor arena, with semi-finals set for May 13 and 15, while the final is to take place on May 17.
Fans without golden tickets for the arena will be able to flock to the 40,000-capacity St. Jakob-Park football stadium across the street to watch the final on a giant screen, and see performances by former Eurovision stars.
Meanwhile the Steinenvorstadt district, known for its bars and cinemas, will be transformed into "Eurovision Street".
Had voters rejected granting the money, Eurovision 2025 would have been scaled right back to just the show itself, with no public events outside the main venue.
- Motorways -
Across Switzerland in national votes, the Swiss rejected expand the country's motorways at key congestion points, and giving greater powers to landlords.
Final results showed 52.7 percent had voted against plans to widen sections of the A1 motorway, and build tunnels in St. Gallen and Schaffhausen and under the Rhine in Basel.
The government and the parliament wanted to ease bottlenecks on six motorway stretches, with the volume of traffic having doubled since 1990.
The projects were estimated to cost 4.9 billion Swiss francs ($5.5 billion).
The Green Party called it a huge victory against an outdated transport policy.
"Traffic is one of the main causes of carbon dioxide emissions and plays a direct role in global warming," lawmaker Delphine Klopfenstein Broggini said in a statement.
"This money must be invested in protection against the consequences of global warming, particularly in mountain regions."
Pierre-Andre Page, a lawmaker with the hard-right Swiss People's Party, said he was "shocked" by the results.
"We will soon have 10 million inhabitants. And these bottlenecks will increase further," he told RTS television.
The Swiss also rejected two separate projects aimed at giving landlords more flexibility, one on terminating leases (by 53.8 percent) and the other on limiting sub-letting (by 51.6 percent).
Nearly 60 percent of people in Switzerland are tenants.
"Today's results are a slap in the face for the real estate lobby, which continues to extend its grip on the housing market by maximising its profits at the expense of tenants," said ASLOCA, a major tenants' association.
Nogueira--PC